WAG Gymnast cutting own music?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flipomaniak

Gymnast
Coaches: Would you allow your gymnast to cut her own music if it was well done? Or would you rather her just buy a copy from a recognized website/company?

Gymnasts: Would your coach let you do the above?

I bought my music this year on itunes (after my coach approved it), and cut it myself using audacity. It worked out great!

I cut all my squads floor music - I find most of them too. I don't see why they wouldn't if it turns out to be quality. If it was choppy and sounded bad then that's a different story. As long as you understand the beat and melody you can normally do a pretty good job - some music knowledge really helps a lot

I used to cut all my own music. We did it on an old double cassette player back in my day. Probably would sound rough these days but audio cassette quality isn't great in the first place so not as noticeable as you'd think....

Now there's computers and digital everything it's really easy to get a sound editing program, and cut your own music.

How does this work with broadcast rights? Surely royalties are required to be paid whenever a piece of music is aired in public?

I also did on a old double cassette. I had a great rendition of "Eye of the Tiger" that I was very proud of;)

How does this work with broadcast rights? Surely royalties are required to be paid whenever a piece of music is aired in public?

I have wondered about this - do the gymnasts have to pay to use the songs?

I'm a photographer and I have to either pay for any song I use on my website, or have permission from the artist(s) to use the song(s). BUT... I'm making money from my website (hopefully :D), so it is commercial use.

For the gymnasts... the girls aren't making money from the use of the music, so in that way I would think there wouldn't be a charge. But... the GYM is making some money (or at least charging money), so does that mean that you have to pay for the use of the music (or get permission)?

I guess it would be like playing music at a party I don't need the rights to share songs there but if I was charging people to listen to the music it would be a different story. So the gymnast isn't charging people to watch her routine I suppose it would be okay. Maybe at elite where the music is heard worldwide maybe it would be different but that's just what I think but I am about as knowledgable about copyright issues as I am about alien lifestyles

Hmm... I think a party is a different case. If it is in your home, it could be regarded as private, so that is different.

As for a public gathering but not to make any money, at my church we pay a licensing fee per year for the use of music. But whether that is to sing the songs or to use the written music to play them (or both?), I am not sure. However, if it is for simply "playing" the songs, you could argue that a church doesn't do it to make any money either, yet they still pay royalties.

Possibly gyms have an arrangement for paying yearly licensing fees. I have no idea. But I'm interested to know how it works.

I know girls who have had a song professionally cut for them but I don't know If they had to do anything else besides just getting it cut...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back