Coaches Gymneo Drills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

SXS524

Coach
Gymnast
Hi,

So I've been working on cartwheels with my development gymnasts (6-7 year olds who recently upped their training to 5 hours a week) and noticed that whilst they have straight legs, finish in a lunge etc they're not perfect- some of them are slightly piked, some arched and some are slightly off with their hand placement. I was planning on getting them to do cartwheels against the wall to try and correct their alignment but also came across Gymneo's Cartwheel drills video . There's loads of great drills and I plan on using some but I was wondering which drills do you think would be most useful/transferable? Some of the drills seem to be very isolated so I wonder how well they'd transfer when doing a full cartwheel? Any thoughts? (or any other drills that might be useful?)

Wow, everything I ever wanted to know about a cartwheel, and then some!! That guy is like the Bill Sands of the UK! ;)
With the group you described that comes that few of hours, I would focus less on the technical and more on the practical side of things. I got bored watching, can't imagine 6-7 year olds doing! ;) I like to stand two cheeses on their sides a couple of feet apart to make a hallway. Have the kids do their CW through the middle. Start moving the cheeses closer together until they are only shoulder width apart, and see who can make it through without knocking over one of the cheeses. Works great on helping them identify pikes and arches, as well as flexed feet. A piece of athletic tape on the floor can be your best friend as well. Have them do their CW on the tape back and forth, but don't let them switch legs on the way back (have their non predominant leg in front). Just a couple of ideas that I hope will help. Good luck. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back