WAG Half on

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

cbifoja

Proud Parent
My understanding is that no one actually competes this vault. So my question is....what is its point? Bella was very excited to show me her "half on" but honestly, it looks easier than a handspring vault. It basically just looks like a cartwheel over the table.

Am I missing something? I am just sure I am! I am so vault illiterate so please help educate me!

I told you I'm vault illiterate! Now I have to start learning vaults because I have no idea what a Tsuk is. *sigh*

I swear that must be the hardest event to judge. Between going so fast and the small amount of time the gymnast is actually in motion, all vaults looks pretty much the same to me.

The best way to describe it is a roundoff back tuck. Pretty common for level 7..level 8's often compete it piked. YouTube it if you get a chance. :)

What percentage of L7's would you say do tsuks? I've always heard that a front handspring is still okay at that level...and that lots of girls still do them...like can a kid get in the 8's on vault in L7 w/ a front handspring vault?

Not sure about percent. Usually it just depends on the gym. It seems like the more established the gym is, the more up training they do--so more tsuks at the beginning of 7. A lot of girls do still compete a front handspring at 7..I'm not positive of what the start value is though. Google "usag level 7/8 vault chart" and it will bring up a chart with all the start values.

The best way to describe it is a roundoff back tuck. Pretty common for level 7..level 8's often compete it piked. YouTube it if you get a chance. :)
I am pretty sure I've never seen a tsuk at Level 7. Many gyms where we are still compete front handspring at beginning of L8 season, then switch over to tsuk. L7 vault.jpg

I could be wrong, but I don't believe that Tsuk is allowable at L7...I have been to a ton of L7 meets and have seen only a handful of half on half offs...I have never just seen half on with repulsion. Our gym starts training half ons over the table and RO FF onto L4 mat for L5s and L6s to get them prepared for Tsuks and Yurchenkos...

You can't do a tsuk in level 7. Unless you want a 0. Even some level 8s don't flip. Take a hit on the score but a smart coach won't do it unless it's safe, especially in the younger age categories, at a small size it can be hard to generate the power and use the equipment as effectively, so it can be a waiting game or they are spending time learning the yurchenko right and don't want to rush a competition vault. Pretty much 100% of level 7s compete front handsprings, minus a few twisting vaults like half on, half off. But it doesn't really make sense to do this because it will almost always get more deductions, for no gain (front handspring is a 10.0 SV). Not very common, I never see it here.

Not very common to teach/learn a true "half on" in a high level JO program. We generally use the 1/4 on/roundoff technique since the advent of the vault table. As for why they did it, because it's fun to mix things up once in awhile, but unless she has a very advanced vaulting technique, I do not think she will be learning tsuks seriously soon. Advanced vaults (flipping vaults) take years of development to learn with younger children, generally speaking.

Im glad to hear the more advanced vaults aren't commonly done till L8. My DD (10 yo L6) does work on those half ons (I call it the vault that looks like a round off), and the yurchenko thing on the L4 mat like others have mentioned, but I can tell she's got a *long* way to go before she can even think about adding anything (like a tuck, etc.) after she hits the vault...

Last edited:
You can't do a tsuk in level 7. Unless you want a 0. Even some level 8s don't flip. Take a hit on the score but a smart coach won't do it unless it's safe, especially in the younger age categories, at a small size it can be hard to generate the power and use the equipment as effectively, so it can be a waiting game or they are spending time learning the yurchenko right and don't want to rush a competition vault. Pretty much 100% of level 7s compete front handsprings, minus a few twisting vaults like half on, half off. But it doesn't really make sense to do this because it will almost always get more deductions, for no gain (front handspring is a 10.0 SV). Not very common, I never see it h.
This is what I saw when dd competed L 7. While they did various tsuk drills into pits and yurchenko timers onto mats for a few years it has only been this year as L8 that she started doing it on the table and flipping it. To OP Maybe her coach wants the girls to get a feel for something different on the vault table. I'm with you on judging vaults. Lol I have no idea what I am looking at it happens so fast :)

I know a local gym starts tsuks into the pit after level 5 season ends. They do half ons, round offs up a wedge mat, etc along with doing tsuks over the table into the pit. DD's gym doesn't (though one of the coaches thinks they should), but there are some that start that early.

At my gym, we work half ons before half/halfs. (half on, half off). Then we use halfs to work tsuks. We don't compete tsuks until level 8 or 9 and my level 7 self is terrified of them!

In her first year of L7, my daughter threw a half on-half off vault. It was weird, but that was actually the better vault for her. When she would throw both a FHS and the half on-half off, she would almost always score higher on the half vault. Not sure if it's because her technique was better on that vault or if the judges just liked seeing something different. She is a second year 7 this season and now she is throwing just a half off twisting vault. She is working toward a full twist, but she has a solid half. In her first meet, the twisting vault scored higher than the FHS vault. We are starting to see more gyms in our area throwing these vaults over the standard FHS, especially for the older L7s that are working harder skills to move to L8.

Of my DDs L6 team there are 2-3 girls that are beginning the flip afterwards (and that is w/ *2* coaches spotting and a huge resi mat all the way up to the same height as the vault on the other side). These girls are significantly more powerful vaulters than DD and the rest of her team... I am pretty certain that DD would smack her head on the vault table if she attempted a flip after her "half on" right now :/, so it is more than fine w/ me if she does that handspring forever. Vault really scares me to watch compared to the rest of the events...

My daughter needs speed if she ever has a prayer of flipping. She also seems way too small. This is her first year actually over the table so I doubt they are already starting to train more advanced vaults. Probably just something to break up the monotony.

Yeah, that tsuk vault is scary looking. But I know the coaches introduce things so gradually that I barely even notice what they are doing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back