Hand placement for BHS on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

justanothergymmom

Proud Parent
I have noticed 2 different methods: (1) hands one in front of the other with the front hand pointing towards the end of the beam (2) both hands facing the same direction with all fingers pointing to the same side of the beam. Is one of these methods preferable or is it up to the individual to see which hand placement works best? Thanks!

My coach has always told me to put my bad hand in front and my good hand in back(to keep square) with the front hand facing forward. Both hands facing the same side can lead to falling,unsquareing,and missing your hands more often. Overall I would use the first method.

Ahhhhh! #2 is always unacceptable to me (unless I'm misunderstanding you).

Personally, I think that the front hand should be as straight as possible. The second hand can turn out slightly.

Some people make it work turning the front hand slightly out (note that this would mean the hands are pointed in opposite directions). Personally I try not to encourage this because I feel sometimes it starts to slide beyond "slightly" and it often impedes "blocking" the hands off the beam if that makes sense (i.e. they're on the heels of their hands and they can't push as straight off through their fingertips and wrists). This might not cause many problems for a single BHS, or BWO BHS, but when you start getting into real series deficits in technique like this can start to cause issues.

Both hands facing the same way (which means you probably also the dominant hand in front, another thing I discourage) is not a technique worth practicing, in my opinion.

Thanks! It seems like you are both saying the same thing~that (2) is incorrect. I agree with Optionals United--it would be hard to stay square because having both hands pointing the same direction towards the side would mean you would almost have to twist a little (or at least unsquare your shoulders) to get both hands on. I also get what you are saying too, gymdog, about not being able to push through, so it does require bending at the elbows. Thanks to both of you!

Method one is advised because this makes you more square over the beam but method two can be used.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back