Parents handwash only leotard

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter has a handwash only leotard from Snowflake designs. Does anyone have a recommendation on the best detergent to handwash this in? And, is there anything else I should know before I try this?

LIQUID Ivory Snow or Baby Dreft. Either is very gentle and it will only require a very small amount in the water. Personally, I place the leos in a zippered laundry bag and wash them on a special cycle -- active wear (on the front load) -- designed to wash specialty clothes like Under Armour and lycra. Even when the leo says Hand Wash, I've never had any issues laundering them that way.

I'm told that Ivory Snow and Baby Dreft are both made by P&G and have the same components, just different marketing. So either will work great.

LIQUID Ivory Snow or Baby Dreft. Either is very gentle and it will only require a very small amount in the water. Personally, I place the leos in a zippered laundry bag and wash them on a special cycle -- active wear (on the front load) -- designed to wash specialty clothes like Under Armour and lycra. Even when the leo says Hand Wash, I've never had any issues laundering them that way.

I'm told that Ivory Snow and Baby Dreft are both made by P&G and have the same components, just different marketing. So either will work great.

I agree, you can use these and put it in the wash like this. The leo should be fine :). I have never handwashed any of her leos including the competition ones.

Same as above. I have an older washer & I use the delicate cycle. For detergent I use a little bit of Woolite. Also, always hang to dry.

I throw it in the washer on the delicate cycle the same as any delicates. I turn it inside out too. I don't use any special detergent other than what I would use for any laundry - we use Arm n Hammer for sensitive skin no perfumes no dyes. I also throw them in the dryer we have a delicate cycle for that too and never had an issue with shrinkage. We have several leos from snowflake its one of my DD's favorite companies.

Handwash in woolite

I usually handwash in Woolite, especially if the leo is embellished with jewels. Just a few drops of Woolite in the sink with the leo and I let it soak for about 20 min and rinse thoroughly. Use a towel to roll it up as flat as possible to get the excess water out, then I put it on a hanger to dry. It's a little bit of work, but I've never ruined one and I've seen a few other people ruin or fade out some of their leos with harsher detergents.

We have leos from Snowflake (and many other places!) and I've never hand washed any of them! I just wash with the same type clothing (ie: all leos and gym shorts, lycra leggings) together.

I use my regular laundry detergent and regular setting!

I hang to dry.

All leos still great....even crazy expensive, jeweled competition leo!!

Many years of this and haven't lost a leo yet :)

Good luck!

I use the washing instructions that came with the Snowflake leotards. No detergent, just handwash in salt water. I washed a leo a few times using a small amount of gentle detergent and the shiny fabric began to dull, so I no longer use any detergents. I just throw a handful of salt into some water, wash the leo, rinse and hang it to dry on an indoor laundry rack. I wash all the leos this way and they do not lose their shine.

depends on the fabric and mixes - velour washes okay on a gentle cycle, mesh and mystique ( the shiny stuff) cold water, no detergent (except a tiny bit of pure soap on the gusset). All are hung on a hanger to dry

velour washes okay on a gentle cycle, mesh and mystique ( the shiny stuff) cold water, no detergent (except a tiny bit of pure soap on the gusset).

Yes, 'mystique' is what most of DD's leos are made of, and it is the one that dulls when washed with detergent.

I turn them inside out & wash in cold on the delicate cycle (front loader) with Dreft detergent. We have several Snowflake leos & they've always washed up perfectly like that - In fact I wash all of her leos this way, even her competition leo and have never had a problem.

We do not have any Snowflake leos here, but we have many with foil, jewels and mystique fabric (They are mostly GK and Jamwear). I have never hand-washed any of them. I am not sure I've even read the tags. I wash them inside-out on the gentle cycle with Dreft. We then lay them flat to dry.

Maybe I should try that saltwater thing. Or at least check the labels! ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News