Coaches Help for low income families?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

PalmTree

Coach
I'm not sure where to post this - I'd like feedback from coaches, parents, owners, etc.
how does your gym handle situations where a parent can't afford team gymnastics? How do you decide who gets help?? Any responses appreciated.

I guess it would depend on the circumstances...are they just staring out in the sport vs has there been a catastrophe in the family (i.e. death of parent) that impacts the financial situation? If they were just starting out and voiced concern over increasing costs, I would direct them to a place like a YMCA program that has scholarships and such going forward as it is an expensive sport from the get go. I think if the parent feels that right off the bat, they can't afford team, then it would be a kindness to recommend a different (cheaper) sport because the costs will never decrease once they're on team. And there are some parents out there who don't "want" to afford it, and would they be included in the persons seeking reduced funding from the gym? It's a tough call..

If it were someone on the team, and their circumstances changed, a discussion with the gym owner to see if the parent could barter for services, or if the gymnast was old enough, teaching rec classes in exchange for tuition...just a thought..

As far as I know, at our gym there is no kind of financial aid. We do sell second hand leotards cheap for people that need them. Unfortunately our gym struggle to make ends meet as it is as it is and with classes being in popular demand with waiting lists even the gym cannot afford to let people pay at a discounted price. However, I have heard my coach talk to my teammate who's dad has to have shoulder surgery and his health insurance doesn't cover it and it is about $5000 to have the surgery about maybe helping out with rec to help pay off some of her gym fees but it doesn't look like this is actually going to happen. Unfortunately for some families it just becomes impossible. I would be interested if any clubs had a working system that accounts for unexpected financial difficulties for their team members such as the one mentioned above or a death or other expenses etc. I would think that even younger gymnasts in this situation could help out with simple medial tasks around the gym - I'm sure there is plenty of stuff that needs to be done that even young children could handle. Maybe they could help out with rec being demonstrators etc.

Unfortunately, gymnastics may not be a feasible option for a low income family...Sports through a town rec department or a school team would be a more doable option for those struggling with their financial situation. No matter how talented a gymnast may be , I can't see putting a family into financial crisis for one particular sport, especially if they are just starting out.

I'm guessing the situation in question is one where a child is on the team already and a change in family finances (lost job, divorce, etc.) has made paying for everything associated with gymnastics more difficult. If this is indeed the situation, as a coach I would want to do everything possible to help keep that kid in the gym. They are probably facing so many other changes in their life at the same time that taking away something they love, and are pretty good at, would just make matters even worse. I agree that there is no sense to go into financial ruin over gymnastics, but if they just need a little boost for a few months until they can get back on their feet, I think options exist.
If the child is old enough they could help assist with younger classes or do other odd jobs around the gym. If the child is younger, see if you can offer a position to the parent in exchange for discounted tuition- cleaning, working the desk, taking care of leo sales in the gym, helping plan activities in the gym like birthday parties and fundraisers, etc. Whatever your gym has a need for. If that isn't a possibility, maybe you could encourage the Booster club or club owner to offer some more fundraising options to help offset costs.
If the gym is in a very financially stable place, it might be feasible to cut the family a break temporarily, though I would probably expect them to be involved around the gym in some capacity if at all possible rather than just giving them a free ride.

Optional sports may not be an option for them

Unfortunately, gymnastics may not be a feasible option for a low income family...Sports through a town rec department or a school team would be a more doable option for those struggling with their financial situation. No matter how talented a gymnast may be , I can't see putting a family into financial crisis for one particular sport, especially if they are just starting out.

Our gym has loving coaches and caring parents but it has never worked well when they have tried to financially help a gymnast. If they can no longer afford private gymnastics, school sports are a wonderful option. It is sad to make a child quit a sport but there will always be a parent with financial struggles and we are not to judge who is worthy of help and who isn't (are the olympic potential ones worth it but the 3rd time level 4 not?). If the struggles are temporary the child could certainly be welcome back when the parents are able to provide for them. If they are long term financial problems, then that would not be the responsibility of the gym, either.

This family in need could certainly ask for assistance from family but it would be inappropriate for the gym to help out the family financially in any way. I could elaborate more on why if needed, but that's my 2 cents for now.

I think I have heard of city run gyms that have done low income scholarships. Typically for rec kids, not team.

Perhaps a fundraiser. Honestly, a dicey area to get involved with. Who determines who is in need and gets the boon?

I think I have heard of city run gyms that have done low income scholarships. Typically for rec kids, not team.

Perhaps a fundraiser. Honestly, a dicey area to get involved with. Who determines who is in need and gets the boon?

I don't think that you could do a fundraiser to benefit one particular girl or family because wouldn't that make her ineligible for NCAA participation going forward (if indeed she had the talent in gymnastics or any other sport) ...and the whole thing with non profit status of either her gym or the parents association would probably be an issue.

I agree with Gymbeemom, I think the family would need to figure this out on their own with out any financial "help" (per se) from the gym.

In the YMCA's around my area there is a charity which supplements the cost for all the different programs it runs including gymnastics. We raise funds for it constantly through sausage sizzles, raffles and many other things that I can't think of off the top of my head. As to who decides who receives the benefits I'm not too sure.

Yes, they can be directed to a YMCA. The family can apply for financial aid. DD used to go to a Y and I know of a family who has benefited from the aid for gymnastics.

I agree with Gymbeemom, I think the family would need to figure this out on their own with out any financial "help" (per se) from the gym.

I also agree. I think if it came to the point we were quitting, then I'd tell the gym why, and if they were willing, work something out (coaching, admin, fundraising help).

Fortunately in the UK local councils often have small amounts of cash to help with rising stars- I think if they've qualified to a national event or top in their borough, they can apply for help with training fees and expenses. If they're well and truly on the radar (age group national squads etc) then they may be eligible for lottery or other charitable funding. Again though, I wouldn't be expecting the gym to subsidise.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back