Off Topic Podcast topics for new show! [pod(CAST HANDSTAND)]

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey coaches,
My name is JR and I have 30 years coaching experience from Parent/Tot up through Level 10 Team. I recently started a new podcast targeted to the recreational gymnastics world. I figured there were so many podcasts focusing on elite gymnastics, but none focused on the rec side. I'd like to give back with knowledge I've accumulated over the years as well as share from other professionals. The podcast is targeted for parents, coaches and gym owners.

What are some topics that you think would be valuable? I'm assuming most coaches in this forum are competitive coaches, but i'm sure that you see things you don't like or could be improved in your gym from the rec coaches/rec side? What are they? I welcome topics as well as comments on the pod if you happen to listen. I really appreciate any feedback.

If you are interested in listening you can listen on all platforms. The name of the show is pod (CAST HANDSTAND). My social media handle is @jrthegymnasticscoach. Happy New Year

Attachments

• podcast Intro Offical.mov
    6.5 MB
Hey everyone,

My name is JR and I have 30 years gymnastics cosching experience. I’ve started a gymnastics podcast centered more around recreational gymnastics. I’d love to hear topics you parents would like to learn more about. Please let me know. In case anyone is interested in the podcast it’s now available anyone podcasts are streamed. It’s called pod (CAST HANDSTAND).
Thanks in advance,
Jrthegymnasticscoach

That's an interesting concept! I most recently worked for a rec-focused, low hours xcel only gym.

Are parents the target audience? Or coaches? I know as a coach, I was always having to explain why it was taking so long for kids to move up: coming one hour a week, we only do each event every other week (15 minutes each of warm up, bars, beam, trampoline and then warm up, floor, vault, tumbl.trak.the opposite week for example). So 15 minutes on bars every other week just takes awhile to see progress.

Maybe benefits of parents trying their gymnast's stretching or strength moves together! I would always point out good things for kiddos to try to teach their families to help them practice safely at home.

Listening now. Wish i would have heard this sooner. I stayed at a gym where my daughter's coaches never even said hello to me and was never updated on how she was doing. Even though she was there 3 days a week.

That's an interesting concept! I most recently worked for a rec-focused, low hours xcel only gym.

Are parents the target audience? Or coaches? I know as a coach, I was always having to explain why it was taking so long for kids to move up: coming one hour a week, we only do each event every other week (15 minutes each of warm up, bars, beam, trampoline and then warm up, floor, vault, tumbl.trak.the opposite week for example). So 15 minutes on bars every other week just takes awhile to see progress.

Maybe benefits of parents trying their gymnast's stretching or strength moves together! I would always point out good things for kiddos to try to teach their families to help them practice safely at home.
That's a shame. I am sorry you had a negative experience. Coaches need to understand we are in the business of customer service. A simple hello goes a long way. THANK YOU SO MUCH for listening.
Listening now. Wish i would have heard this sooner. I stayed at a gym where my daughter's coaches never even said hello to me and was never updated on how she was doing. Even though she was there 3 days a week.

The podcast is for parents, coaches, and owners. Each week the focus might be targeted toward one of those three audiences, but everyone listening will learn from the topic.

That's a shame. I am sorry you had a negative experience. Coaches need to understand we are in the business of customer service. A simple hello goes a long way. THANK YOU SO MUCH for listening.

I just listened to episode #2 (not sure why I am listening out of order... that's just the title that I wanted to hear)... what a great podcast.

ChalkBucket was created in 2005 to help everyone learn more about gymnastics. pod(CAST HANDSTAND) looks to be doing just that as well.

@jrthegymnasticscoach Nice work... keep it up!

Last edited:
It does! My daughter was 3 at the time and the coach didnt even introduce herself to me. She started a new gym at 4 and before her first class one coach emailed me explaining everything (preteam) and her TOPs coach spoke and updated me after class. It was such a contrast but very much appreciated. Made me feel better about having my baby in their care.

Hi! Rec coach here! I’ve been coaching rec boys for one year now and I love it! Though coaching boys poses its own set of challenges, and I was never a gymnast before either. But I love to coach in general and I love the sport, my son is a gymnast. I can’t wait to give your show a listen, just started following it. Thanks!!

Why you don’t need to be a former gymnast to coach gymnastics.

^^^That’s the episode that I want.
I’m here for it! I swear I feel like I have imposter syndrome most of the time.

I’m here for it! I swear I feel like I have imposter syndrome most of the time.
Ok, I will definitely get this episode in my line up. I love the idea. Don’t feel like an imposter. Some of the best coaches I’ve ever known NEVER participated in gymnastics. Here’s what makes a good gymnastics coach….someone who is patient, caring, knows how to coach a skill and creates excitement for the sport. Here’s what DOESN’T make a good coach…experience means nothing if you aren’t compassionate, being able to demo a skill (who cares), bad attitude and entitled (the attitude that so many team coaches have). You go on with yourself and keep coaching.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back