help... i have a gymnastics issue!!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am 14 years old and i have severs disease. i cant even try to do gymnastics. i can do beam and bars and conditioning, but floor and vault kill me because my heels have sever pain. i need an answer to this problem. it been going on to long and im supposed to move up this year to level 8. its holding me back and i need a fix to this problem. if anyone can help please reply! thanks,
shawnfan
:floor:i want to do floor again!!!!!!!!!!

I know how hard it can be, I am going through the same thing at 15. Mine is so painful that I can barely walk. Really there isn't too much you can do, trest, ice, and stretch. I go for massage also to loosen up my legs. Physio can also help if you find a good one that understands gymnastics.You can buy heel cups to wear at practice, I haven't tried them but have heard that they work pretty good. They are called Tuli's cheetah heel cups (not positive that us completely correct, google ot and you should find them)Just think that once you stop growing out should go away fairly quickly. Good luck with it, your not the only one.

Talk to your parents about your concerns. I would take you to the DR and see if there is something medically they can do to help. Im sure some PT will help too. Let your parents know about this - I know you don't think they can help but the support of your parents can really help you.

I saw someone post on here somewhere about Shock Sox that absorb up to 94% of impact. I don't know anything about your condition, so have no idea if these would be suitable, but just putting it out there as an idea you could look into.

Again, the best idea is not to try to work around the injury but to give it time enough to heel and limit training on hard surfaces.

Tumble on tumbl-trak, or inflateables. Work on tsuk or yurchenko entry vault drills.

Flipper (12) also has Severs. We have found that this conditions comes and goes and makes life really difficult when it flairs up. Always stretch very well, use ice - and rest your feet when they hurt. We got Tuli Cheetah Cups for her heels from Amazon - not a cure, but they do help her feet be more comfortable. Flippers PT told us that Severs generally goes away when you quit growing. BTW - Flipper says that Severs is far more painful then the stress fracture she had in her foot.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back