Anon Gym policies for students with behavioral issues

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

Anonymous (9aa4)

I have a few students in an XCEL program that have behavioral issues: disrespectful to coaches and classmates, not willing to follow directions, require constant supervision. All the usual tactics don't work: having private conversations with them, yelling, sitting them out, notifying parents. At this point, I've concluded that whatever these students need (likely an occupational therapist), it's beyond the scope of what I can offer in a 6-hour-a-week gymnastics class.

I would really love to kick these students out of the XCEL program and offer them a spot in a rec class (where behavioral expectations are lower and class size is smaller). But my gym has a policy against kicking students out of XCEL. Their reasoning is:

1. The XCEL program "is for everyone"— including neurodivergent students. We already offer programs that are more exclusive (such as DP).
2. These students already face a lot of adversity in their lives. We should be willing to work within their constraints instead of "giving up on them."

I think this is a great policy in principle, but it is a logistical nightmare. We are understaffed relative to the special needs of a few students. Adding another coach would definitely help, but their responsibility would basically boil down to make sure Student X doesn't start throwing beanbags.

---

What is your gym's policy for kicking out students?
What would you do if you were in my situation?

How old are they?

Do they seem to want to be there and just can’t manage their behaviour or is it more that they don’t seem that interested?

Do you have a clear policy for the consequences of their actions in each training session? Eg First time, warning, second time, sat out, third time parents called and sent home for that session?

All gymnasts need to be able to listen and follow directions for the safety of themselves and others. Make a policy, make sure parents and gymnasts are aware, make sure coaches stick to it.

How old are they?

Do they seem to want to be there and just can’t manage their behaviour or is it more that they don’t seem that interested?
They are 8 years old. I think they mostly can't manage their behavior. And they are only interested in doing certain "fun" skills (e.g. back handsprings). They don't seem to have a genuine interest in putting in the work to get better.

If you haven't tried a reward plan yet, I would speak with each family individually to devise one that will work for them. The rewards do not necessarily have to be within the practice itself. It can be down by the families after practice. Also having the family involved in prepping the child before practice to increase focus (based on their needs) can really help. Also look at the length of the practice. If it is too long for them, you could work around this several different ways. I would be careful about reading into their behaviors as not being interested in getting better. Having lived through this with my own child (another sport, academics, and life in general), I made this mistake often but eventually realized that was not the case. They expressed long term interest and plans but had trouble executing "in the moment" to make those goals attainable. Having said that, if this is just an activity that the parents want them in and the child truly has no interest, there is nothing wrong with suggesting other options for them - tumbling team/classes, another sport, etc.

They are 8 years old. I think they mostly can't manage their behavior. And they are only interested in doing certain "fun" skills (e.g. back handsprings). They don't seem to have a genuine interest in putting in the work to get better.
It is not unusual for kids of around age 8 to feel this way. They want to flip but not work hard on basics, conditioning etc.

But if they love to do the fun things and flip, then you already have a motivational tool.

Example - complete the set drills with good form, then get to do the fun drills and flips. It works best if broken down, and the fun stuff is inbetween the “hard work” stuff. It won’t work so well if your expectation, is put the effort in the whole session and not get to do any of the fun stuff until the very end.

Kids can also be taught to love the conditioning and basics. I can’t even tell you how many kids of that age I have seen, go from never trying in those aspects of the class to completely loving them.

The main secret to this, is to help the gymnasts feel like they are very good at those things. Kids love to do things they feel they are good at.

Another important aspect to coaching kids like this is to develop a good relationship with them. Build rapport, get to know them, learn about their lives, hobbies, interests etc. if they feel like you genuinely like them and value them as an individual. Then most kids will become a lot more respectful.

If their training is fun, exciting and full of activity. If they can feel good about themselves and have confidence, if they feel valued and important and good at what they do. Most behaviour issues disappear.

Consequences for unsafe or hurtful behaviour are needed. But ultimately the secret to discipline is in the positive things you do, rather than the negative.

I don't think there is anything wrong with telling parents their kids aren't ready right now. It's not that they can't be part of the program someday, but today they aren't mentally ready. They can try again in a year when their kids might be more ready for formal gymnastics.

The other thing the gym could do if that stance is too extreme is to say something like "the parent must stay at practice and if the kid is not having a good day they can go sit with a parent until they are ready to join the group."

That way the program is fully inclusive but it doesn't take away the learning for the kids that are able to focus.

My neurodivergent kid is greatly motivated by rewards/small treats. She's the youngest one in her training group, and gets distracted very easily, but will regularly crush through conditioning if there's a lollipop involved.

I STRONGLY encourage you to consider the impact of telling the kids to leave the program. My ADHD son had a stern "talking to" from his soccer coach on his 3rd year on an academy team and it broke his heart (he was 9 at the time). He ended up leaving the sport - and now, 5 years later we have a young teenager wishing he had a sport/hobby. He was so crushed by how the coach described his behavior that he was too ashamed and embarrased to try anything new again. I really wish the coach had come to me instead and let me help figure out a solution.

I would implement a reward system for the entire group. I like sticker charts for little ones, if two kids are standing paying attention, you give them a sticker, you will likely get the attention of those not listening without giving them attention for their undesirable behavior- I guarantee you the next time you will have at least two more paying attention.

Early on you give out lots of stickers to get them to buy in, then slowly you reduce the rate of reinforcement. It's essentially teaching your kids to gamble that good behavior will be rewarded, If I see behavior I don't like (that is not unsafe), I try and find someone else doing the right thing to reward instead of giving attention to the wrong thing.

Do not give stickers when they ask for them, don't bribe with stickers, and make sure stickers are predominantly given for behavior and effort vs achievement.

It helps if you actively work to see and reward kids on task as side stations and point it out - Suzie, I love how hard you are working there you can have a sticker, rather than calling out Sarah who is mucking around. Now if Sarah is one of your students who struggles to stay on task and she then starts to work well, early on you will also reward her corrected behavior.

As someone in a family full of neurodivergence: (ADHD - Hyperactive, ADHD - Inattentive, ADHD - Combined, various points on the Autism Spectrum, and AuDHD), I understand your frustration. I would talk to the parents and find out what methods they use with their children. I agree with the idea of the stickers for someone "caught" having good behavior or following directions or listening quietly.
When I worked in Child Care, we would take wiggle breaks (ages 3-14 in the classroom in the summer) and dance / shake / jump our wiggles out. At the gym, we do this with our preschool classes, mostly to the music from Frozen, and team girls often participate.

Good luck.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back