Help understanding L7 bars scoring

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have a somewhat related question on L7 scoring. (Gympanda or anyone)

Under the new rule, there is a notion that some judges would lower the SV (or deduct?) for extra tap swings coming out of a giant/baby-giant before the flyaway (or giant-giant-babygiant-swings-flyaway in our case). Coaches appear to be all over the place on that as well.

The amount is pretty hefty when they do take off for that. This happened in the beginning of 08/09 season. What is the general rule on that? Or, is that still in place?

I'm not sure what new rule you're referring to? Additional swings have always been penalized as execution deductions at .3 per swing. "tap swings" before the dismount are not acceptable. I expect the judges could also apply "swing fwd/bwd under horizontal" (.1 each).

However relatively recently I believe they did change to allow one forward swing before a front flyaway in L7 only, i.e. you could do for example half turn, swing forward immediate swing back into forward flyaway. Again I expect the deduction for swing fwd under horizontal to apply if the front swing wasn't up to the level of the bar.

I was thinking that to make an extra swing acceptable (if the girl was having difficulty controlling the fly away straight out of the giant) that the girl could swing down from the giant-kip back up-cast hs- straight into the fly away. I was under the impression that to come out of the giant-take an extra back swing- flyaway was a major deduction?

So many things to learn :O!

In the UK empty swings are a massive deduction. Having a stop on the bar here is a 0.5 deduction too and a fall is 1.00. It sure adds up lol.

In my 1st 2 level 7 meets I competed giant, baby giant, undershoot, flyaway (like the level 6 highbar but without the extra tapswing), and I don't believe I was deducted for swinging into my flyaway like that (got around 8.7 with form errors on my giant and big cast angle deductions). Does that 'half' swing before the flyaway count as a tapswing?

I was thinking that to make an extra swing acceptable (if the girl was having difficulty controlling the fly away straight out of the giant) that the girl could swing down from the giant-kip back up-cast hs- straight into the fly away. I was under the impression that to come out of the giant-take an extra back swing- flyaway was a major deduction?

So many things to learn :O!

Giant kip cast flyaway has no extra swings although it is a little awkward.

The extra swings are .3 each but I believe there is a maximum deduction of .6 total for more than one. A stop on the bar is also .3. Underswing forward, counterswing backward into a back flyaway will be an extra swing in L7/8 I believe. Again recently the rules were modified to allow one forward swing into a front flyaway.

I was thinking that to make an extra swing acceptable (if the girl was having difficulty controlling the fly away straight out of the giant) that the girl could swing down from the giant-kip back up-cast hs- straight into the fly away.
That doesn't sound like an extra swing to me. The kid has to drop into the kip, doesn't she? So, the kip-cast-hs is just the next skill in the series. Then, the flyaway from the cast is acceptable.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back