Help with Back Full Twist.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello. So, I have been working on Full Twists for about 6 months. I have 3 months until we determine what level we will be Competition wise, and if I get my full, I will be aloud to compete/train as an advanced/elite athlete. It is frustrating. I set up and hesitate that little bit and pull it, but what would help me with pulling it all the way around... I look over my shoulder and also twist to my shoulder..

How the problems got starting, twisting direction. I have learned all baranis (pike,straight,tuck) twisting to my right. As soon as I started training fulls, I twisted to the LEFT in my full, but I got it easily to my left. It went about a half a year unnoticed and we discovered that I would have to twist to my right to make it look proper. Now I get about 3/4 and I just can't twist anymore, is there ANYTHiNG I can do to help?
(btw this is for T&T)

Thank you! :)

ok. i twist the opposite way in my barani compared to her, i think. i do shoot out and pull towards my right shoulder, so would that mean that i twist to my right in my full?

I twist all my baranis right but my back full, front full, rudi, barani ballout and half out left. After a lot of help here on cb I spoke with my coach and showed her and she said it is fine as it is only the baranis not out of anything that go the oppsite way and it wont effect my advance tricks as they twist the same direction. So you might be fine. Can you do a barani ballout? If so which way does that one twist? Also can you front full? Which way does it go?

I teach front twisting before back twisting because most athletes can easily learn a front tuck at an early stage in their career. Most athletes will learn the front tuck before they get to a point where they are ready to learn the back tuck. If you can do a rudy pretty easy, you should be able to do the back full with ease twisting in the same direction, unless you think you are twisting the front skill the same way and are actually twisting the opposite way. Many athletes and coaches get confused when trying to determine which way a front skill is twisting. Many coaches also make the mistake of teaching a barani like a round-off with no hands, and are unaware that a right round-off (for example), actually "twists" to the left.
The best way to tell (front or back twisting) is to pay attention to the belly button and which way it turns in relation to the building. I'll give an example: if you are on a trampoline facing a wall, and you have a wall to your right side and a wall to your left side, whether you twisted late or early for the twist, your belly button would face the left wall (if twisting left) as soon as the twisting started, and it would face the right wall (if twisting right) as soon as the twisting started.
I don't know the quality of your gym's coaching staff, but I will assume it is good and what I mentioned above, you and your coach(es) already know. Personally, I would check it just in case.
My next recommendation is to twist in the direction that is naturally easiest. I come from a T & T background, both athlete and coach. I have been coaching for 28 yrs. and I have learned from some of the best. In order to reach triples or quads, you must twist on your natural side even if that means your fronts twist opposite from your backs. I haven't seen it, but I have heard of it. Very unusual!
I everything above is checked out, my guess is you are losing your layout position somewhere during the twisting. Looking over your shoulder tends to cause arching at the beginning and piking at the end, so I recommend looking down by your hip. This helps with keeping the layout straight and with your visual awareness. Do you see anything when twisting? How do you think about the twist? Are you trying to just crank out a full? or do you "start" the half, then pull for the full? Do you twist early in the layout or late?
Please respond, I would love to help you with this!

and to reiterate, the best attempt should be to keep both forward and backward twists the same direction for vestibular reasons.:)

the above post is very good. ^^^any of it sound familar?:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back