Help with front fulls

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ivyagogo

Coach
I have a student doing pike front-fulls on the tumbltrak. She twists really fast, but she is sort of twisting horizontally and is landing either on her butt or in a squat. I'm not a real pro at twisting and am having a hard time correcting her. Any suggestions?

Revisit the front layout. Look to make sure that the feet are in front for the punch and a tight arch shape is present pre-vertical. The heels should not be 'forced' to drive, but be a fluid shape transition from hollow to right arch.

Then, you can either go and do pike front, pike front 1/2 and slowly tighten to a layout 1/2 then layout full.

Or, since they can twist already, help them understand that the twist is borrowed from the rotation, so they need to take off as if they are going to over-rotate (in fact, layouts up to an 8 inch may help).

Another drill that may help is to do front handspring full to their back. Emphasis on a late twist (post vertical).

That's really all I got! Good luck and keep us updated!

I teach the front twisting as such

I first and foremost teach a whip front layout (or a tight arch layout). This is mainly because the gymnast will need to learn how to generate rotation from the lower body (as all tumbling rotation is about flipping the lower body and hip over the shoulders) much earlier in their gymnastics then to need to twist.

Once they understand and can perform this layout correctly (which may i add is a total pain to coach because of the head position, and so forth), i move on to teaching front hollow layout.
Initially i teach the whip layout with the arms going sideways, but when the hollow layout is introduced i teach a punch (this of course is important as front twisting layout not matter how done are more often and ideally done using a punch over arm technique)

You can teach this on a tramp, of a springboard first, rod floor. I dont suggest teaching it on floor. (no surprise here)

So the hollow technique of the layout is encouraging a slightly wide down arm swing action (like for a punch front). On the take the gymnast punches and swings the arms down hollowing, followed instantly by a leg drive. The focus here is HEIGHT!. In so the rotation will be slow but that is all good as long as its enough to a little more then required to complete the somersault fully straight. ( of course you want to start getting them to doing this layout onto a raised surface pretty quickly and before teaching the actual twisting, because otherwise you will get a them twisting early, because they would not have learned the set well enough)

Now basiclly it a matter of getting the gymnast to understand an uneven arms swing. The more aggressive and asymmetrical the arm movement the better. The first 1/2 twist should be completed vertically. To try and get this they need to spot the floor after the take off.

I am sorry if this post is of little help, i am finding it hard to write this today haha.. Hope it helps a bit.
Overall poor landing is = to poor take-off... incomplete twist is = to poor take-off (lack of height) and sufficiently fast twist (and thus partly to do the rotation)

i understood you! and ditto on the head position...the complete opposite of back lay out. no wonder the kids look at us sometimes like WE ARE confused. :)

You say she's doing pike front fulls, but really there shouldnt be that much of a pike, it should be a flick front and then when you youve flicked thats when you get the twist, the flick front consists off piking slightly then flicking you legs up, this will give the power to get over then you just have to twist.

Yes, she is starting in a pike and then kicking out. When she kicks out is when she begins the twist. I will work with her on whips and layouts and see if it makes a difference. Her class was last night and I was home with the flu. Hopefully she will be there tonight.

Work on a set! and and late 1/2 layout. where she twists after vertical.
Once she has that done the 1/1 is just a matter of wrap a little harder and sooner,

She finally got it! I think she just needed some time to work it out. [video=facebook;1735815955343]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1735815955343&oid=114396765271368[/video]

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back