WAG High Scoring v. Low Scoring Meets

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We never hear anything about scoring from our coaches. I do know after meets when we have gone to a new state, a coach has told a parent or 2 that the judging in such and such state is typically harder. We've been in it long enough to know now but I do wish they would give a heads up to everyone. I know when my DD was younger, scores meant a lot to her and seeing a lower than expected score flash after she felt she had a good routine was hard on her. She's learned now but those first few years were difficult. Seeing her do her Old L3 Bar routine for the first time with her Mill circle (she did 2 mill Circles her first meet!) and it scored LOWER was puzzling to say the least. Now we've learned we just have no idea and call it a success when she accomplishes a "goal" - like last meet was a beautiful handstand that she held long enough.

Based on our vast experience of two meets, I am convinced that there are some lower-scoring and some higher-scoring meets. At my daughter's first meet, the winning AA scores were in the 38 range. At the second meet, they were more like 36. At the first meet, there were very few scores below 8 and just one below 7. At the second meet, there were tons of 7s and even several beam scores in the 5s. Granted, different teams were at the two meets, but the scores were just too different to believe that it was entirely a function of who was competing. It was as if the judges at the first meet were afraid to go below 8. I actually liked the lower-scoring meet better because the range of scores was wider and there was more differentiation between the top and bottom gymnasts, and because it felt like my daughter really earned her scores.

The range of scores at our state meet was low 31AA-low 38. Though there were only 3 scores in the 38 out of over 350 kids (L4), and only 22 over 37. And this for the most part was everyone's highest scoring meet. We definitely know which areas of our state will end up with what I call "nitpicky" scoring vs. others.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back