Off Topic Homeschool?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Without supplementation, homeschooling can be hard. My DD is partially homeschooled. She is a straight A student and has been throughout her entire school experience. This year she started taking two online courses. I'm finding that she isn't getting as much out of the material as she does in her face to face courses. She's also not as engaged by them. So now, on top of working full time, I'm reading the material as well and going over it with her. I can already see that her comprehension is increasing. With all the time demands, I can't imagine doing this with all subjects. So you may want to make sure that you have the ability to supplement the materials in a meaningful way for your daughter.

Coming from a a country where home schooling is very much the exception, rather than the norm, I find this debate interesting.

I have only come across two families who have home schooled, one was definitely a member of the "beardy-wierdy" set, the other had two children with special needs and so had issues with schooling them and so home schooled all 4.

I have a post-grad degree and speak two languages and I would not necessarily consider myself qualified enough to teach all secondary level subject to my children. I could certainly not see myself teaching my children as well *** having a full time job - heck I struggle to drag them through their homework every week.

I would be very cautious about using K-12 long term. They have come under a lot of fire recently. The NCAA is refusing to acknowledge several of their programs in various states, and I believe their private program as well. I know your little one is far away from worrying about NCAA but it is definitely something to think about.

For those wondering how you can manage homeschooling with full time work, if your hours can be flexible, then you can homeschool and work effectively. Even if you don't have a lot of flexibility, you can still find time. I have known some families who teach the lessons on the weekends and then the kids do the independent work during the week when the parent isn't as readily available. But yes, it is very time consuming. The lower grades are relatively easy to plan for and implement but as your kids go up in levels, it becomes more time consuming and stressful.

I have not come across bad about the K-12 yet, I will be looking it up though. NCAA may not be on the table YET, but I am looking at the website now and it looks like when she hits about the jr high stage I would probably need to call them ans speak to the home school person they seem to have. Looks like a lot of rules, but maybe just one more thing to navigate.

Home school seems like a growing trend in the USA and it is no wonder with the growing standardized testing requirements and the Common Core horror. I Googled HOMESCHOOL GYMNASTICS and it seems that there are quite a few gyms here that are offering special classes to home school children. Not really sure how they level into team or whatnot but the classes are there and seem to be plentiful. Also, I ran across an interesting article that I have mixed feelings about http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...ge-and-small/2011/08/05/gIQASWDR4I_story.html

Homeschooling was something I thought about doing but am so glad I did not. MY oldest is in classes that are well past my ability level! And the youngest is catching up quickly. (and I have a MA in education!)

I actually just found something else out................the K12 in my state is actually subsidized (I think that is correct) so it is free PLUS they send materials with each course/semester. And most comforting to me is that the syllabus states that there is DAILY contact with a teacher and everything is matched with to meet or exceed the states standards. The daily contact from a teacher makes me feel a lot more comfortable (though still on the, fence albeit leaning) . The link is here for anyone wanting it in TX http://www.k12.com/txva/curriculum/3-8#.VIio_PldUwA Also, I checked it against the no no list on the NCAA site and it seems to be still an acceptable one, though from what I understand that needs to be watched closely because they change stuff alot at NCAA and not always on a regular basis but just whenever, so something to watch but all in all I think a good find and maybe a viable option. This link also has some sample lessons somewhere on its site though I haven't tried them yet.

I side with the skeptics about homeschooling. I too have a post graduate degree and work in higher education. I can only see homeschooling when the schools in the district are physically unsafe and/or lose their accreditation. (and this is sometime the case in the US), and/or because of highly particular individual circumstance. Otherwise, I too say beware! It just is not plausible that a kid could engage with and absorb a deep, rich curriculum by sitting in front of a computer screen by herself.

I am a pretty highly educated person and I know there is simply no way I could replicate at home the kind of learning my kid is doing at school. And she is not yet in high school.

Of course, there are always exceptions to a rule.

And I know it is a hot button topic, but I think it is a bit too soon to be panicked about the Common Core--it is only just being rolled out--too soon to tell much. And it doesn't increase testing. The teaching to the test has been going on for many years

I started homeschooling for reasons other than gymnastics. However, I can see that it's a big benefit for DD. She never has to come home from the gym and do homework (she doesn't get home until 8:30 or so, and that will be even later soon when she starts the optional schedule). She doesn't have to get up at 6 am to catch the bus. She doesn't have to go straight from school to the gym, which she would have to do in public school (often, she is already gone when the bus comes by). She has downtime to just be a kid.

I put a lot of time and effort into teaching the girls, choosing their curriculum, and making it all work. Kids can indeed get a perfectly great education at home. The girls also (obviously) do not lack for time with other kids.

The kids are being homeschooled because of gymnastics usually are in the very highest levels who are doing 6+ hours of practice a day. While there are some gyms that have homeschooling progrms, they are very much in the minority. My oldest daugther's gym is set up so that even the L10s don't have to miss more than one period of school Only the pre-elite girls do any homeschooling. My youngest daughter's gym doesn't have any kids being homeschooled because of practice.

My school district has adopted Common Core. While I, a former teacher who went into law, have problems with understanding some of the math, I haven't had issues the vast majority of the material being taught. Based on my review of the material and my discussions with my younger daughter, she is clearly learning a lot. So, I'm going to withhold judgment on the program at this time.

It sounds like you want to go the homeschooling route. That's great if it works for you but understand that it is at home schooling. Sitting at a computer and having a brief teacher contact is not the same as being in class with a teacher in the room. The kids are still expected to learn the material by reading it online. Try sitting through an online class at your level for an entire day and see if you think that type of learning would work for your daughter.

If my daughter didn't have to do homeschooling I honestly would not have her do it. She's lost the interaction with the other students and teacher and I now realize it's more important than I thought. But you know your daughter best. and can make the best decision about her schooling.

My school district has adopted Common Core. While I, a former teacher who went into law, have problems with understanding some of the math, I haven't had issues the vast majority of the material being taught. Based on my review of the material and my discussions with my younger daughter, she is clearly learning a lot. So, I'm going to withhold judgment on the program at this time.

That is a great point. Common core is just the standards, but they way they are taught is curriculum and school based.

I love what my kids get at school. My gymnast would be so angry if I pulled him for homeschooling :)

I
For those wondering how you can manage homeschooling with full time work, if your hours can be flexible, then you can homeschool and work effectively. Even if you don't have a lot of flexibility, you can still find time. .

You must be superhuman (and I say this with genuine admiration). I work from home in the afternoon, after spending the morning in the office, so I can be home with my daughter after school and drive her to her activities. By the end of the day I am totally exhausted, and I am not actually teaching her anything. Weekends are a crazy rush of errands, housework, and cooking. I can't imagine trying to shoehorn homeschooling into my schedule on top of everything else!

I have not come across bad about the K-12 yet, I will be looking it up though. NCAA may not be on the table YET, but I am looking at the website now and it looks like when she hits about the jr high stage I would probably need to call them ans speak to the home school person they seem to have. Looks like a lot of rules, but maybe just one more thing to navigate.
http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/mark...y_athletes_in_24_k12_inc_virtual_schools.html

This is just one article. You can google for more. If this many schools are being banned, more will follow. It is one of the major reasons I am hesitating trying the new virtual public charter opening in our state in the fall. It is not run by k12 but if the NCAA is coming down on them, they will begin to look at others too. And unfortunately, we do not have time on our hands as dd will be in 9th next fall. Again, not saying you shouldn't use it - especially given your dd's grade, but just do the research for the future.

You must be superhuman (and I say this with genuine admiration). I work from home in the afternoon, after spending the morning in the office, so I can be home with my daughter after school and drive her to her activities. By the end of the day I am totally exhausted, and I am not actually teaching her anything. Weekends are a crazy rush of errands, housework, and cooking. I can't imagine trying to shoehorn homeschooling into my schedule on top of everything else!
I never said it was easy ;). Just that we do it. My kids are older. 1 in 6th and 2 in 8th. They are very independent. We follow an approach that has taught independence from the beginning. I do not work a traditional job - I make my own hours and I do all my paperwork on the weekends. DH also has very flexible hours. All 3 of our kids is heavily involved in a year round sport so it gets complicated in the evenings and weekends for their competitions. But we manage.

I side with the skeptics about homeschooling. I too have a post graduate degree and work in higher education. I can only see homeschooling when the schools in the district are physically unsafe and/or lose their accreditation. (and this is sometime the case in the US), and/or because of highly particular individual circumstance. Otherwise, I too say beware! It just is not plausible that a kid could engage with and absorb a deep, rich curriculum by sitting in front of a computer screen by herself.
I know this is a bit off the original topic but I have to address this. The original post wasn't asking for whether homeschooling was a good idea. She just wanted help in juggling full-time work with homeschooling and gym.

It is posts like these that get to us, as homeschooling parents. And people wonder why we get so defensive. This comes up every time homeschooling comes up and inevitably, someone posts about how it is impossible for a parent to do just as good a job as a trained teacher or how the kids can't be properly socialized (whatever that means).

Seriously folks, if you have never homeschooled or have not known many homeschooled families, then you really don't have the knowledge to be able to discuss this topic intelligently. And unless you have used these online programs, you can't say just how engaged the students are. The programs are not all alike. Many have developed ways to increase interaction and extend learning opportunities. And really - if you observe a typical middle/high school classroom, you would be hard pressed to find much engagement either. I am not saying that online schooling is right for everyone. It is not. But to imply that it can't be as good as a *typical* classroom in this country, without ever having experienced it personally, is just wrong.

I am a pretty highly educated person and I know there is simply no way I could replicate at home the kind of learning my kid is doing at school. And she is not yet in high school.
Thankfully, we are not trying to replicate what the kids would be getting at school. Why would we want to replicate all the wasted time, discipline issues, needless homework and endless testing? The reason we have them home is because we do not believe in the way that that they are being taught in school. I really wish there was research detailing just how much time is spent with teachers actively engaged with students vs the time spent managing the classroom, students moving between classes, doing busy work, etc. It would be a real eye opener to parents, which is, of course, why the research will never be done.

I have said it before - Teaching is not rocket science. And before teachers get all upset with me - I am NOT knocking you or your training. I was a certified teacher many moons ago in special education and in elementary ed. Yes, teachers are well trained, but the training is mainly for how to teach groups of children with wide variety of abilities and learning styles. There is nothing inherently difficult about teaching one child, particularly you own. You know how they learn best, their strengths and weaknesses, likes and dislikes, etc.

Yes, teaching high school math and science is more difficult than lower levels and many homeschool parents do not feel properly prepared to do this but there are so many options - community college courses, online courses, homeschool co-ops, independent study, a tutor. My dd is in 8th grade and taking Algebra 2/Geometry. She is learning this almost entirely independently, with an A+ average on her tests. And she is not a math kid by any stretch. From early on, we taught our kids to learn independently. It is one of the major issues with traditional schools - Students do not learn how to learn independently. They are "taught to" for most of their schooling career, including college. It is just the nature of the beast when you have 25+ kids in the classrooms.

Of course, there are always exceptions to a rule.
Hundreds of colleges across the country would respectfully disagree with you that a successful homeschooler is an exception to the rule. Many colleges now have separate admission counselors specifically for homeschooled students and actively seek out this population because of their track record of being independent, reliable, socialized (yes, socialized, not only with their same aged peers like in school, but with people from all walks of life and all generations), and better prepared academically.

I have nothing but good things to say about homeschooling. I went to school for most of my schooling but my favorite years were the ones I homeschooled. I got all my work done and I was able to work ahead in some subjects too. The only thing that stunk was that when I went back to school I had to do what my grade level was doing in school and I was so bored because I had already done it and done the next two levels.

I have a good number of friends who were homeschooled their entire lives and they are now in college and graduating college and doing fabulous things.

All the college admissions counselors I've talked to at 10+ different strong universities love home schoolers!!

I actually just found something else out................the K12 in my state is actually subsidized (I think that is correct) so it is free PLUS they send materials with each course/semester. And most comforting to me is that the syllabus states that there is DAILY contact with a teacher and everything is matched with to meet or exceed the states standards. The daily contact from a teacher makes me feel a lot more comfortable (though still on the, fence albeit leaning) . The link is here for anyone wanting it in TX http://www.k12.com/txva/curriculum/3-8#.VIio_PldUwA Also, I checked it against the no no list on the NCAA site and it seems to be still an acceptable one, though from what I understand that needs to be watched closely because they change stuff alot at NCAA and not always on a regular basis but just whenever, so something to watch but all in all I think a good find and maybe a viable option. This link also has some sample lessons somewhere on its site though I haven't tried them yet.
From talking with NCAA as well as two online schools (one on the Approved list and the other on the Denied list), I have determined that the MAIN thing (other than the course requirements being up to par) is that the classes are not "self-paced" ... a semester class MUST have to be finished in a semester rather than a student taking a year to compete the semester. ALTHOUGH this is not a problem that I see with most gymnasts.

From talking with NCAA as well as two online schools (one on the Approved list and the other on the Denied list), I have determined that the MAIN thing (other than the course requirements being up to par) is that the classes are not "self-paced" ... a semester class MUST have to be finished in a semester rather than a student taking a year to compete the semester. ALTHOUGH this is not a problem that I see with most gymnasts.

Our state public school using K12 just suddenly shifted mid-semester to a policy that the students had to have work completed within something like 10 days. I wondered it if was negotiations with NCAA, as many student athletes used the cyber academy. The problem was that many high-performing students were used to the flexibility and had already signed up for one-week music intensives, a one-month language course in Belize ... that in previous years had been no problem, because they just picked up where they left off when they got back.

As to the haters ... I have home schooled my now 5th graders always. It is down the rabbit hole, when you have not considered that the system is not required for college or career or had time to consider it for long. I see in my parent friends who send their kids to school a LOT of stress over the beauty of posters about obscure weather terms that took all weekend, "organizational coaches," Kumon and chess tutors. We choose not to do what I call "competitive academics" for elementary school. My children do not yet know what they want to be, nor are they old enough to really work towards the things they speculate they may want to do. They do wake 97% of their days without an alarm clock or other outside wakeup. In child brain development, that is not nothing. They do traditional maths quickly using standard algorithms. I do not need to worry about my district's contract to use Everyday Math.

For those interested in homeschooling, please know that there are a wide variety of curriculum options to choose from and you can buy them in a package of all-in-one (but some parts of that package may not suit your child's learning or lifestyle) or you can buy them apiece. Currently we use a combination of online, book, and CD-ROM course materials. It is certainly possible to give a child a very relevant education buying nothing, since books, audiobooks and ebooks are available free from the library, Khan Academy is free, etc. But I prefer the structure and convenience of having a math book and having a history/geography course, and other structured school books, paid sites like IXL, etc. and supplement that framework as necessary. Some subjects I do outside of a commercially available course entirely.

Once they are approaching the age to earn high school credits, if they are potential NCAA D1 or D2, you have to deal with the NCAA eligibility framework, which is ever changing. For the OP's child, currently 3rd grade, that's pretty far off and there's no use in trying to predict what they will want in six years. Also she may toss gym when she is 12 and announce her intention to become an actress. But it's something to keep in the back of one's mind.

Thankfully, we are not trying to replicate what the kids would be getting at school. Why would we want to replicate all the wasted time, discipline issues, needless homework and endless testing? The reason we have them home is because we do not believe in the way that that they are being taught in school. I really wish there was research detailing just how much time is spent with teachers actively engaged with students vs the time spent managing the classroom, students moving between classes, doing busy work, etc. It would be a real eye opener to parents, which is, of course, why the research will never be done.

From early on, we taught our kids to learn independently. It is one of the major issues with traditional schools - Students do not learn how to learn independently. They are "taught to" for most of their schooling career, including college. It is just the nature of the beast when you have 25+ kids in the classrooms.
Sorry -- screwed up the quote function.

As to the first paragraph quoted above -- are you serious? This issue has provoked a ton of peer-reviewed research published in academic journals on education, and this is part of what has led to contemporary moves toward teaching innovations like flipped classrooms.

As to your second point above, this illustrates a pretty deep misunderstanding of current best practices in secondary and baccalaureate education. The whole point of a liberal arts bachelor's degree is to learn critical thinking and writing skills. (Your mileage may vary, of course, if you push your kids to major in pre-business.)

I understand your desire to defend home schooling and home schoolers, and I think there are many good options for designing a strong program, as long as parents are careful choosers and consumers of good products. But I likewise feel a bit defensive when I see others' reasonable choices to keep their kids in conventional schools attacked.

I think this thread has been very helpful to the OP and others because we have such a wealth of parents on the boards with experience in avoiding the potential pitfalls of homeschooling, just as we have many parents who've helped their high hours gymnasts navigate the difficulties of remaining in conventional schools and managing the demands of the sport. But the bottom line should be ensuring that your child is getting an appropriate education that will serve her/him well whether s/he goes on to be a national team member/Division I athlete or does her/his last back handspring at age 11. Working creatively to ensure that schooling and gym are both meshing effectively? Great! Compromising school to accommodate gym? A terrible idea.

Last edited:
This thread has, indeed, been very helpful to me. I wanted to get experience and opinions from both sides of the fence and it seems I have done that. It helps tremendously to know a lot of the pros and cons that I have never even thought about. I respect the viewpoints of everyone that posted her and took the time to PM me.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back