WAG How do I quickly get over a mental block?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have recently had a mental block over a handstand on high beam. I need this skill before season starts in march, which is rapidly approaching! If anyone can give advice on how to get over mental blocks, it would be greatly appreciated. :) Thank you.

If you really have a mental block, I'm not sure getting over it as quickly as possible should be your main goal.

Start wherever you're comfortable with the skill (low beam? medium beam? padded high beam?) and work your way back up. Be confident that you'll get it back eventually, but that it might take more time than you'd like. And don't beat yourself up over having a block. It happens to everyone.

I used to be terrified of vertical handstands on the high beam. In addition to what Sari said, what helped me was to do this drill where you stack mats at the end of the beam so that they're even with the height of the beam. Then kick up to handstand & fall to flat back on the mats. Each time, try to hold it longer & longer before falling over. Make sure you keep a tight straight body position throughout the whole handstand/flat back. Have your coach spot you on your first few attempts. Work on strengthening your handstand position on the floor. Do some against a wall with your stomach towards the wall. Make sure you stay lifted & hollow (don't let your back "sag"). Also work on controlling your handstands on the floor. Try to hold it as long as possible without walking your hands. This will teach you how to manipulate your body to balance & you'll feel more comfortable & in control on the beam.

My DD had mental blocks last year.

The above suggestions are very good. I will add two comments - 1. For a block or fear on beam, I believe it is better NOT to have your coach spot you, EVER. You need to start working the skill on the floor and working drills, and build your confidence up and gradually work your way up to the high beam. If you have a spot, you may come to depend on the spot, even a finger spot or the presence of your coach, and that will destroy your self confidence and your belief in your ability to do the skill.

2. You will Overcome. No one can predict how long it will take, but if you believe in yourself and that you can do it, you will. I have absolute Rock solid faith in this .

1. For a block or fear on beam, I believe it is better NOT to have your coach spot you, EVER. You need to start working the skill on the floor and working drills, and build your confidence up and gradually work your way up to the high beam. If you have a spot, you may come to depend on the spot, even a finger spot or the presence of your coach, and that will destroy your self confidence and your belief in your ability to do the skill. .

I definitely agree that it's better to avoid spots on beam & keep working up. However, I wouldn't say no spots EVER. The reason I recommended spotting was because the drill I mentioned can be dangerous for an apprehensive gymnast to attempt alone on the first try. If they freak out about going over the top (it's likely a new feeling on beam & if there's already a mental block, that makes it 10x scarier) they can do some crazy things that could lead to injury & an even greater fear of the skill. It's never a good idea for a gymnast to attempt a new drill like that involving a skill they're fairly new to/apprehensive about. That said, I agree that you should not have your coach spot you on normal handstands on any beam, rather keep working your way up :) On another note, try coming up with a short phrase that you say to yourself every time before you go. Say it before you go every single time, whether it's on the floor, low beam, or high beam. Make it a habit that every time you say that key phrase, you go into "handstand mode" & go for it. Good luck! You can do it!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back