How do the parents behave at your gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am just curious... my dd is only on Preteam this year, and we are waiting to find out if she will move up to compete L4 this summer. I LOVE our gym.

So far, I see a lot of great friendships at our gym between parents. I am very good friends with a few other preteam moms, and most seem very friendly. Very encouraging of ALL of the girls, etc. Already several of the current L4 moms are welcoming us and encouraging our girls. And I do see the optionals team moms sitting together often, and working on a lot of things together. Seems like a great place to be comfortable. Of course, I'm sure it's not 100% perfect pink roses... but for the most part I see very positive interaction.

On the other hand, I have a good friend who's daughter is at a gym in the next state... she describes the atmosphere there as the TV series "Miami Dance Moms". She says she wouldn't trust any of the parents there, and that there have been several parents who bully others and are often fighting and arguing. I think that is very sad.

Just wondering, what seems to be the norm at your gym? Is it a positive thing to make good friends at gym as moms? Is everyone encouraging for the most part? Do you wish it were different?

All our families seem to be normal folks and friendly even the owner. No matter what gym you go to though there will always be one or two crazy gym moms but if you don't feed into their drama they settle down.

I think it's great to develop relationships with other moms (and the dads that come too). In a few short years, you'll be seeing a lot more of these folks than your own neighbors - I know, as I'm at that point now! In dd's gym, most folks are really friendly. There hasn't been much in the way of drama for quite some time. From what I've seen, the moms tend to gather with other moms at the same level, though there is some cross over, particularly for the families whose dd has skipped or repeated a level.

It's really sad to hear about gyms like your friend's. I would hate to have to take my dd to a place like that every day. Even though I wouldn't stay to partake, I would still know that the negative atmosphere exists. I would be worried that it would eventually extend to the girls.

The atmosphere at my daughter's previous gym was very competitive and somewhat negative. I was a bit soured from that experience and at her new gym I have made it a policy to be polite, but keep to myself. Maybe a year from now I will have figured out who is really nice and who isn't. I'm not there to make best friends. I had a completely different attitude before, but have learned to be cautious.

Her old gym was the kind of gym that had parents who were extremely jealous of anyone who might be a threat to their child's top dog status. It was difficult to be a part of, even if we did love the coaches.

The atmosphere at my daughter's previous gym was very competitive and somewhat negative. I was a bit soured from that experience and at her new gym I have made it a policy to be polite, but keep to myself. Maybe a year from now I will have figured out who is really nice and who isn't. I'm not there to make best friends. I had a completely different attitude before, but have learned to be cautious.

Her old gym was the kind of gym that had parents who were extremely jealous of anyone who might be a threat to their child's top dog status. It was difficult to be a part of, even if we did love the coaches.

Our old gym had a few nutbag families like this...and I kept my distance from them as well. But I will say, some of my best friends have been fellow gym moms:) so it does work out...

At our gym the mums (and dads) are friendly and mostly get along very well. We mostly know those in our own level but also some of the parents from other levels as well. In our level we are all supportive of all the girls in the group with a little bit of healthy competition. We also help each other with transport and so on. I must admit, there are a few parents who are quite competitive, but so far I haven't met any really crazy gym parents, thank goodness!

Our gym is like your gym--at least from my experience. I don't know if the lower level parents are more competitive now or not. I know they do sit together (for the most part) at meets (at least they're together whenever we go and watch), but probably aren't as close as the optional parents are--we've been together for years and get along (for the most part) really well. We all cheer the girls on and worry when someone is injured. Definitely like a family--with occasional fights too!

I can only speak about the upper level 9/10 moms at our gym, not really sure what goes on with the other levels. The 9/10 moms (and dads) are a great bunch. We are all very supportive of the girls and are all thankful when the girls make it out alive at the end of the night. Our group does hang together at meets and when we go away for meets, there is always a good party to attend in someone's room!

It all depends on the day. We have a Level 3 mom who is the booster club president who thinks her child can do no wrong and shoves it in every ones face how good she is. And she is good but she is no Nastia Lukin. However she likes to create drama with a few of the other Level 3 moms. I happen to be good friends with one because of Girl Scouts. But the level 2 parents are generally great people as are the higher level moms 6-8. But the level 4 moms and dads seem to stick to themselves and aren't very welcoming of other parents. But then again a few of these moms bullied the manager at the gym into promoting their kid before she was ready. The manager no longer works there. So you never know what parents are gonna be like. Just be glad you have a group of relatively calm parents.

Generally, the parents at all levels are supportive of all kids and the program as a whole. There is the occasional grumpy comment, but it is rare. We all chat as we are waiting for practice to end and look forward to finding how all of the gymnasts did at their session. I think most feel that we are in this together.

I love the gym my niece is at. Although she's in the JO program, her team is based out of the Y. I haven't noticed any crazy parents, most of the girls are there for the love of gymnastics it seems. The parents I know are all very down to earth. My niece is relatively new and all the families have been very welcoming. The handful of moms that stick around for practices included me from day 1, which is really great because of communication difficulties (I'm Deaf and use sign language so meeting people right away in large groups can be kind of difficult!) I have noticed most don't have a lot of technical gymnastics knowledge. I don't mean that in a bad way at all, it's just rarely am I aware of parents critiquing routines at meets or questioning scores or progressions at practice. Most parents are supportive with coming to meets and stuff but it's clear gymnastics isn't their lives (no big booster club, no moms living in the viewing area 7 days a week) I think this is because there are a number of other private club gyms in the area and they attract the girls and parents that are more competitive right now. Our gym is known more as the place to start or place to stay at for financial reasons or girls who want to stay involved in school or other things. After state one mom had a slumber party for the L5 team girls and another mom helped organize team hair ribbons and shirts for "fans" (families and friends who come watch). There's no giant booster club with required duties or nasty politics or anything. Despite being very down to earth, the coaching is pretty quality though. My niece's coach really likes to focus on strong basics and strength building and relating gymnastics to life lessons (perseverance, focus, goal setting, etc.) My niece might end up switching gyms in the next year or so if she keeps progressing like she has been and keeps loving gymnastics and wanting to participate in higher levels. But until then I'm really happy where she is, even if she quits tomorrow I think it's been a really positive environment.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back