Coaches How do you handle training a superstar fairly?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymBeeMom

Proud Parent
When you have someone you know has incredible talent, how do you give them the attention they need to thrive while balancing the fact that all children deserve equal time in their training? Knowing parents and kids will feel slighted if you give one more attention than the others, and knowing you have one that could soar with every little bit of attention you give her, how do you strike the balance?

I'm sure as coaches you have been there, so I would like to see it from your perspective...I would think it would be an incredibly difficult for a coach to be in.

BTW, my DD is not the superstar I am referring to. This is actually a more general question than it may seem.

We do what is best for the team at our club. Focusing on a superstar may or may not be good for the team depending on the situation. We are currently not setup to train towards the elite world.

In a generalized nutshell, maybe with more to come later, the superstar kid has to be supported because she came to the gym hoping to become a superstar just as any child at the same gym may hope. A balance must be struck between the needs of each example, and new staff hired if possible to fill in the gaps present when the star gets extra attention.

The quality of the instruction all kids get is closely linked to the atmosphere and surroundings in which the instructions take place. With a star in the mix it's easier to motivate the rest of the kids who'll want the same support if they should become stars.

That's the micro version until later, maybe much later.

I just think professionally, it would be a dream to land a girl with superior talent and you would want to develop that to its fullest. I also see all the potential for jealousy and discontent among gymnasts and their parents at what would appear to be favoritism. Every gymnast needs more, the ones who aren't up to snuff need more to get there and the ones that could shine need more polish to do so. How does a coach decide who gets more more when there is only so much to go around? I'm sure its a common problem, just curious to see how coaches handle the issue...I do see it in our gym but I withhold judgement because I see all sides and feel like in many ways it is a double edged sword for all involved.

I just think professionally, it would be a dream to land a girl with superior talent and you would want to develop that to its fullest.

It depends on what you are talking about. We have tons of talented gymnasts that are a dream to work with.

If you are talking about someone that is the "perfect storm"...physically...mentally...family support...they would have to have the perfect club to develop them. If you do not have the perfect coaching situation for this gymnast...then they should be sent to someone that does. It is not a dream of mine to find this "golden child" as of yet...I need to get the program in place first.

DD is in an elite gym. Coaches have strong reputation and a record of national team members. The groups are divided into elite track and non-elite track. The division appear to work well, providing coaches for all the girls' needs. The sticky part comes where the elite-track group has a "star among stars" and the coaches that train the smaller elite track are trying to strike balance within that group... but I could see it happening in any training group at any level. There will always be a best and how do coaches determine how far to push the best and when its enough and focus on the rest? NO matter how many coaches there are to go around, there must be the desire to spend one-on-one time where you feel it would be beneficial, but is it fair to do that with other girls in line waiting their turn? I guess there is no perfect answer, thinking out loud mostly, I suppose.

DD is in an elite gym. Coaches have strong reputation and a record of national team members. The groups are divided into elite track and non-elite track. The division appear to work well, providing coaches for all the girls' needs. The sticky part comes where the elite-track group has a "star among stars" and the coaches that train the smaller elite track are trying to strike balance within that group... but I could see it happening in any training group at any level. There will always be a best and how do coaches determine how far to push the best and when its enough and focus on the rest? NO matter how many coaches there are to go around, there must be the desire to spend one-on-one time where you feel it would be beneficial, but is it fair to do that with other girls in line waiting their turn? I guess there is no perfect answer, thinking out loud mostly, I suppose.

Imagine dedicating all your time to that one "golden child"...then imagine watching her overzealous parent walk her out the door to another club.

Here's my answer for the future...when the program is ready to handle that "golden child"...

"Life's not fair...I do what I want."

There will always be a best and how do coaches determine how far to push the best and when its enough and focus on the rest? NO matter how many coaches there are to go around, there must be the desire to spend one-on-one time where you feel it would be beneficial, but is it fair to do that with other girls in line waiting their turn? I guess there is no perfect answer, thinking out loud mostly, I suppose.

The child who's at the top may have a shot, for example, at making the national team, while the girls coming up are tyring to get that chance. I doubt there are but a few parents who'll ever understand how hard it is to coach nearly microscopic flaws out of a routine when a kid is the equivalent of, at the least, a 38.725 level 10 gymnast. It's hard, just flat out difficult to find anything wrong in the first place, and coming up with a correction that won't affect another nuance of her movement is even harder, That work takes a bunch of time that very few kids are able to take advantage of. So basically thr kids a notch below don't neeeed the extra help.

Possibly what they need more than anything is a nearly unhealthy sense of determination, and a commitment to put their coach's corrections to work. They don't need a coach nearly as much as they need themselves, because if they have that and are nearing elite quality work, they'll be better off working their tails off on their own, with a bit of help and guidance from the coach.

Here's my answer for the future...when the program is ready to handle that "golden child"...

"Life's not fair...I do what I want."

I think that really is what it comes down to. And that's an honest, real life answer to the issue. This sport never ceases to amaze me, at all levels, and I think the good, bad and ugly is the path that my DD will learn so much from. I am learning too:)

Imagine dedicating all your time to that one "golden child"...then imagine watching her overzealous parent walk her out the door to another club.

This has happened to our coaches. I can only imagine the heartache...

That's a tough one, and it's really tough when the kid knows the gym and coach are a good fit for her, but can't get her parent's to see the light. Sure there's plenty of valid reasons to change gyms, but there are times when the parents should consider this reality......... Kids can change gyms, but they can't change parents, and I've seen a few kids who really wished they could, at least on some level.

One of the best things about chalkbucket is the number of parents who try so hard to get it right, and those who are wobbling in the wrong direction who ask for help in figuring out the way to go.

Ya gotta love it!!

When you have someone you know has incredible talent, how do you give them the attention they need to thrive while balancing the fact that all children deserve equal time in their training? Knowing parents and kids will feel slighted if you give one more attention than the others, and knowing you have one that could soar with every little bit of attention you give her, how do you strike the balance? I'm sure as coaches you have been there, so I would like to see it from your perspective...I would think it would be an incredibly difficult for a coach to be in.
equal time can not be given because they are not equal. there is nothing wrong with more attention to the obvious "superstar". even though parents call this 'favoritism', it's really not. those kids just need a little more of the coaches time. coaches are great at the balancing act. at least more are than not.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back