Parents How fast can your kid run a mile?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

duyetanh

Proud Parent
My girl is doing this as part of her weekly strength test. She is very proud of her progress. I think she is probably about average for a not quite 8 year old. Have no idea what is good anyway. Do any of your kids do this and if so, what is considered decent?

Oops, forgot to say, she is currently running about an 8 an a half min mile. This beats me easily, haha.. I am a quality 10 min miler...

Not a clue. Don't think they do timed miles in school or the gym.

One had a 7 min mile and the other had a 9 min mile (down from 12!). They were timed at school over the year. Are they timing your dd at gym? Never heard of that. Seems like whatever a kid's best time, it's great that they are trying, and even better if they're improving. No need to look deeper at it than that.

Mine has never run a mile, except when she went jogging with her older brother and upset him buy leaving him behind ! They don't run in Primary, but I assume she will have to next summer in secondary school when the dreaded 1500m will rear its ugly head.

My gymnasts are fairly mediocre at the mile but pretty good at the shuttle run. Makes sense to me. DD was quite grumpy because her mile time this year kept her out of the top Presidential Fitness Award category overall. I tried to mollify her by pointing out that she's no slouch at pushups with 85 (and, as she points out, GOOD pushups, unlike "football pushups"), but she remained annoyed.

I could be wrong, but I believe that only two members of my family have a sub 8 minute mile, and neither one is a gymnast (though one is the soccer player).

D's team ran a 5K recently. I think he did it in around 25 minutes. BUt they did flip during the race, and stop to throw color packets on each other.....At gym, they run 3 miles a couple of times a week and it takes about 20 minutes or so.

I tried to mollify her by pointing out that she's no slouch at pushups with 85 (and, as she points out, GOOD pushups, unlike "football pushups"), but she remained annoyed.

My gymmie holds a permanent grudge against her P.E. teacher for stopping all the girls after ONE traditional push-up. Those who did push-ups on their knees got to do as many as they wanted. I can't imagine that they maxed out the test at a single push-up, so perhaps she rejected their form, although that doesn't make sense because I am assuming the gym coaches insist on proper form.

I love that her coach has them run! If she ever stops gym (doubtful right now but we have yet to hit the dreaded 12th year of life lol), I can see her being a decent little runner. I just love that there is some cross training.

My gymmie holds a permanent grudge against her P.E. teacher for stopping all the girls after ONE traditional push-up. Those who did push-ups on their knees got to do as many as they wanted. I can't imagine that they maxed out the test at a single push-up, so perhaps she rejected their form, although that doesn't make sense because I am assuming the gym coaches insist on proper form.

Some phys ed standards have modified pushups for girls. You would think in this day and age, we'd just have the two different kinds of pushups and let the kids sort themselves. Many boys with weak upper bodies can't do standard pushups and would do far better starting with modified pushups and building themselves up.

DD will forever hold the record at her formal elementary school. They have a CD that does the counting, but the CD only goes to 100. When she did her last hurrah in sixth grade, after the CD stopped, her friends chorused a count until the gym teacher stopped her at 110. After that, they set a ceiling at 85!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back