WAG How much and how early does gym choice matter

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

littlegirlsdream

Proud Parent
DD belongs to a very kind hearted gym. The coaches are nice, positive and gentle. However, discipline is lacking. Large numbers of kids in compulsory levels with wide varying levels of ability and skills within each level. It is a gym where every kid is given a chance to compete. That being said the down sides are no up training as many don’t even have the skills for the level their in, those that have skills don’t get to work ahead, poor outcomes at meets even for the “best” in the group and a general lack of discipline seen through out all the levels even optional. Dd is 9, just finished lvl 4 and is looking to test out of 5 and compete 6. She, like every other little gymie, has big aspirations to be a college gymnast someday. I know, injury, ability and 1000 other factors will come into play over the next 9 years. So my question is this, at what point (if ever) is it necessary to switch to a gym that has track record of producing college athletes and experience in developing the athlete in order to give her an opportunity to even have a shot at what she thinks at 9 is her goal in the sport? Thanks and sorry the post is so long.

I think your key phrase here is “poor outcomes for even the best in the group.” That tells me foundational skills, strength, and form are lacking. The longer you wait, the harder it’s going to be to catch up in those areas, so I would switch sooner rather than later. However, that may mean that a “better” gym will ask her to repeat 4 to get to a point where her basic skills are solid, and I can’t imagine they would continue with the skip level 5 plan if she is getting poor results at meets (although maybe she is the exception to your post above) so if she is set on that, you will have to manage that disappointment or choose to stay in place.

I think you know already in your heart that you neeed to go. If this is your child's goal she will most likely not have the chance of achieving her goal at this gym. Not knowing your daughter, but the gym doesn't sound like a match for a gymnast who is striving and has big goals. I moved my daughter at old L5 from a weaker program and felt I waited too long. It all worked out ok in the end but I felt she missed a lot of the foundational things that could have helped her earlier in the game. Good luck!

I think your key phrase here is “poor outcomes for even the best in the group.” That tells me foundational skills, strength, and form are lacking. The longer you wait, the harder it’s going to be to catch up in those areas, so I would switch sooner rather than later. However, that may mean that a “better” gym will ask her to repeat 4 to get to a point where her basic skills are solid, and I can’t imagine they would continue with the skip level 5 plan if she is getting poor results at meets (although maybe she is the exception to your post above) so if she is set on that, you will have to manage that disappointment or choose to stay in place.
She did trial the gym and they seemed pleased with strength and lack of fear on all events and suggested she work to try and test out of 5. She is particularly strong on bars. Low-ish score were high 8 low 9 which unfortunately at level 4 just doesn’t cut it at state meets. She started and ended the season with those scores. It is hard when the gym your leaving is full of good people and you are moving into the unknown. Fear of regret and fear of hurting people is really what’s holding me back. Well that and higher cost, more hours and a bigger travel package for compition season.

Every gym has their own gym philosophy, which is why not every gym is “right” for every kid. For example, the gym I coach at does not have an elite track program, nor do we wish to have one. We have had compulsory level gymnasts who wanted that type of training and who clearly had the “natural talent” and we actually suggested to the parents that if that was the direction she wished to go, she should go to a different gym that has an elite program.

It sounds like your gymnasts goals do not quite match the program you are currently in - you only mentioned their compulsory program, do they have optionals? And if so, how high, and how do they do? Have they had any gymnasts go to college? Or is this a newer program that hasn’t had the time to do that yet?

As a coach, it sounds to me that you have very specific reasons for wanting to try a different style gym, and I would probably reccommend trying the other gym. Not sure how your gym works - I know that some gyms get very nasty when you leave - HOWEVER, I strongly recommend NOT burning bridges. Meet with the coaches and the owner, and explain what you are looking for, and why you are going to leave and try this other gym. They won’t be happy, but at the same time, your kid might end up hating that type of training, and may need/want to return. Like every gym, we have had kids leave for numerous reasons, while this is never a good thing, the coaches always appreciate it more when the parents aren’t super sneaky about it.

As CoachAlex said sit down with them and explain your reasons. Don't put it as if you're moving to a better gym, but rather a diffrent style, just as if you were moving to a different sport. Be sure to tell the coaches and the gym how thankfull you and your dd are for the time there and all the good moments and how much they shaped you dd as a person and made her fall in love with the sport. If the envoirment in thkis gym is as good as it sounds it'll be half as bad.

it may not seem important, but the very basics that they are learning at those early compulsory levels become very important in the optional levels for learning new skills and performing skills with proper form.

There are gyms that have different sets of coaches for compulsory and optional/elite gymnasts - by the time the compulsory kids become optional kids, many of the bad habits and poor forms become very hard to change or takes a lot of time/effort to change.

The very best gyms have their optionals/elite coaches working with the young ones from the beginning and i feel this makes a huge difference later on.

Every gym has their own gym philosophy, which is why not every gym is “right” for every kid. For example, the gym I coach at does not have an elite track program, nor do we wish to have one. We have had compulsory level gymnasts who wanted that type of training and who clearly had the “natural talent” and we actually suggested to the parents that if that was the direction she wished to go, she should go to a different gym that has an elite program.

It sounds like your gymnasts goals do not quite match the program you are currently in - you only mentioned their compulsory program, do they have optionals? And if so, how high, and how do they do? Have they had any gymnasts go to college? Or is this a newer program that hasn’t had the time to do that yet?

As a coach, it sounds to me that you have very specific reasons for wanting to try a different style gym, and I would probably reccommend trying the other gym. Not sure how your gym works - I know that some gyms get very nasty when you leave - HOWEVER, I strongly recommend NOT burning bridges. Meet with the coaches and the owner, and explain what you are looking for, and why you are going to leave and try this other gym. They won’t be happy, but at the same time, your kid might end up hating that type of training, and may need/want to return. Like every gym, we have had kids leave for numerous reasons, while this is never a good thing, the coaches always appreciate it more when the parents aren’t super sneaky about it.
I absolutely do not want to burn bridges because as you said who knows if she will like or hate the training that’s really involved to achieve higher levels. Current gym does have optional levels, no 10s at the moment. They are a well established program but have never produced a college gymnast. Neither gym has elites but second gym has many level 10s with college scholarships already signed. They are owned and ran by former college gymnast and definitely have a different approach to coaching. More a big picture gym if that makes sense. I love your suggestions on how to word the possible exit because all of what you stated is absolutely true.

I absolutely do not want to burn bridges because as you said who knows if she will like or hate the training that’s really involved to achieve higher levels. Current gym does have optional levels, no 10s at the moment. They are a well established program but have never produced a college gymnast. Neither gym has elites but second gym has many level 10s with college scholarships already signed. They are owned and ran by former college gymnast and definitely have a different approach to coaching. More a big picture gym if that makes sense. I love your suggestions on how to word the possible exit because all of what you stated is absolutely true.
Yep... time to go. Use the advice above and talk to your gym. Heck, even let them know that you may be back in the future.

At our gym, when we have girls that have the big goals (and ability and $$$ to go along with it), we suggest that they try a certain bigger named gym a little ways away. Of course, we have girls on our team that came FROM said gym for one reason or another. Maybe your gym understands like ours does and will be happy for your DD.

We made a gym switch last summer when my daughter was 8. Similar situation...prior gym was very fun and kind, but not good in fundamentals. I honestly feel like I made the switch a year too late. She's thriving at her new gym which is stricter, but still fun in a different way. She had to repeat her prior level because her form and strength just wasn't there. Scores have gone up 2+ points which is great. I felt so much fear about stepping into the unknown with the new gym, and the first three months were really tough for my daughter (she cried every day and begged not to go). But once she adjusted, things really turned around. Kids are pretty resilient, so if you feel you need to make a change, trust your gut and go for it.

@littlegirlsdream I swear, I could have written your exact post a few years ago. My dd was on team at a gym for 3 years. The scoring was never super. My dd always scored in the top 3 on her team but that wasn’t saying a lot. The coaches were sweet. Families were great friends. But I noticed a trend with the optionals being (for lack of a better word-lazy). They hung around playing on their phones when waiting on their turn to go. I don’t know, I sort of saw that same thing kind of start to spread with girls not taking as many turns on events, etc. but my dd was still a hard worker. She had just finished L4 when we left & it has been3 AMAZING years. She’s just gotten better & better. The coaches are great! But I believe both gyms are good, I just think this one fits her personality so much better. There hasn’t been even a second of regret. I do wish we had moved her sooner though. She still has some residual bad habits that are hard to break! Seriously, I’m wondering if it’s the same 2 gyms!! Lol

DD belongs to a very kind hearted gym. The coaches are nice, positive and gentle. However, discipline is lacking. Large numbers of kids in compulsory levels with wide varying levels of ability and skills within each level. It is a gym where every kid is given a chance to compete. That being said the down sides are no up training as many don’t even have the skills for the level their in, those that have skills don’t get to work ahead, poor outcomes at meets even for the “best” in the group and a general lack of discipline seen through out all the levels even optional. Dd is 9, just finished lvl 4 and is looking to test out of 5 and compete 6. She, like every other little gymie, has big aspirations to be a college gymnast someday. I know, injury, ability and 1000 other factors will come into play over the next 9 years. So my question is this, at what point (if ever) is it necessary to switch to a gym that has track record of producing college athletes and experience in developing the athlete in order to give her an opportunity to even have a shot at what she thinks at 9 is her goal in the sport? Thanks and sorry the post is so long.
I could have written this exact post. DD is in the same boat. We love her happy and friendly gym, but we are aware that they can't help her reach her goals. Good ideas here.

And to also put it bluntly, keep your mouth shut while you do your research and try other gyms. As kind as they may be, your gym may show you the door when they hear you're not happy with their philosophy and gym, no matter the reason.
How do you ask a prospective gym to keep their mouth closed and not tell your gym? I'm so ready to gym shop, but I'm nervous to walk in a gym and her current gym be alerted.

Mine still has form breaks from being at a fun gym for lower levels. They just didn’t spend time on shapes, conditioning, drills, or progression. I would say the sooner the better if you have the option to move.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back