Coaches How much notice to give?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Melody

Coach
Gymnast
I was hoping to get some feedback from coaches and gym owners about how much notice a coach should give before leaving their job at a gym.

The two times I was job searching while coaching ended up blowing up in my face. I was honest and up-front about my job search. The first time it happened, I was fired on the day I had my interview. The other time, I gave three months' notice. I was thanked for the advanced notice, but was fired a month before the agreed upon end date (I was coaching our Xcel silver team to a state title, but when I came home, my last two paychecks had been overnighted to my house).

I've been given the chance to take over the gym I used to train at in high school and am in the process of applying for the business loan to do so. Once the loan goes through and moving on is definitely going to happen, I'm wondering how to go about informing the gym I'm coaching at now. I have a pretty big classload (five days a week) and would plan to finish out the current term, which ends around June 20th. Should I (do what I think it right) and let them know as soon as I do that I will be leaving in June, or should I just give two weeks' notice? I don't want to burn any bridges, but this is an opportunity I can't pass up. The gym I'd be taking over is about an hour from where I am currently working and shouldn't be in competition for students.

I agree that 2 weeks is appropriate, a month generous. Be prepared to leave any job the moment you hand in your resignation. Start taking home any personal belongings, carry only what you absolutely need into the gym ( or office) before you turn in your letter. Follow up any printed correspondence with an electronic copy, so you have proof that your notice was presented and when.

A coach at a local gym , worked and produced champions for years. (At least 8) Eventually she needed a change and went to give her boss notice, he booted her out on the spot!!! After all those years of loyalty and production, the cold shoulder and boot.... Wow... So yea, be ready for anything...

At many corporations walking someone out the door is a way to protect corporate secrets after they know someone is leaving. I imagine gyms feel the same.

Last edited:
Yeah, I spoke with an confidant at the gym (gotta love the office ladies!) and she suggested that as soon as I sign the lease on the gym and know without a doubt that it's happening, to let them know then. I present for the loan this Friday, so by the time I get the loan decision, the lease is drawn up and I establish incorporation, it'll probably end up being about a month or so out anyway.

Check, your employee handbook, if you still have it. Generally two weeks is sufficient. You might be surprised by the company's reaction. I recently sent my two weeks to my former boss and, because the company had found out that I was moving t another gym, they agreed to pay me for the next two weeks but asked me not to come into work (probably due to the solicitation possibility). Ultimately, it isn't your problem, I know my company needed me, but I had to ask in my own best interest.

Update: My business loan has been approved so I will definitely be leaving. The office is pressuring all the coaches to get their summer availability in to them. I told them that I would get it to them next week. So, now my question is: Do I tell the owner that I'm going to be operating my own gym or just leave it at that? I feel like it's kind of dishonest in this case to not tell her that I'll be running my own gym. It would make me look pretty bad if they found out on their own. I don't want to burn any bridges. Gym owners: When you left the gym you were working at to start your own, were you honest with your boss about it? Please share your experience.

Not a gym owner, but if you are prepared to possibly be unemployed then tell them. If not then this is business ...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back