Coaches Ready-made Lesson Plans?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sfts

Coach
Judge
I'm sure I'm not alone coaching gymnastics on top of a full time job, so I'm hoping for some help!

I'm switching groups that I coach starting this summer. With two jobs already, I don't know that I have the time or energy to make a whole new set of plans for multiple groups on top of that. Then it hit me - buy some lesson plans and just tweak them as needed to fit the groups. Not just a one-off or a "practice handstands and front handsprings," but plans/circuit/drill lists for all four WAG events covering several months or a year so I could walk into gym, pull out a page, and have a plan for a 2-3 hour practice.

Any suggestions for good team (compulsory but leading to optionals) lesson plans? I saw some on Swing Big for levels 1-5 but they look like they are from 2016 so not up to date with the current code. I saw some on Gymnastics Progressions that look more recent but $425 is a lot to not have a preview of a curriculum page. Any opinions on these or any other suggestions?

My coach is busy like this too! For older ones like me she plans out drills and stuff for higher levels skills, but for lower levels she just finds drills on instagram. Generally as long as you cover every skill in the compulsory routines multiple times a week, and drill each skill 1-2 times you’re good! Our gym scores pretty well, for example of the drills they work three cartwheels in a row on one beam with no wobbles. Then as a side station handstand hold on the end of the beam supported by a spotting block and split jumps with resistance bands on their legs on a floor beam. I don’t think more than $100 is worth it based on the variety of coaches I’ve had and scored well with no real plans everyday.

I have the Swing Big Compulsory Practice Plans so I'm happy to answer any questions you have about them. They were last updated in 2017 but I don't think it would take too much tweaking to adjust them yourself to the updated skills although I'm not in the USA so I'm not super familiar with the updated levels. Personally I've found them helpful as a basic structure and I've adapted my own drills/skills into them. Depending on your equipment you may have to do more or less adapting.

I haven't tried the specific lesson plans from Gymnastics Progressions but I have purchased a couple of their other products and personally I think they are over-priced and I'm not sure I'd reccommend them.

I'm sure I'm not alone coaching gymnastics on top of a full time job, so I'm hoping for some help!

I'm switching groups that I coach starting this summer. With two jobs already, I don't know that I have the time or energy to make a whole new set of plans for multiple groups on top of that. Then it hit me - buy some lesson plans and just tweak them as needed to fit the groups. Not just a one-off or a "practice handstands and front handsprings," but plans/circuit/drill lists for all four WAG events covering several months or a year so I could walk into gym, pull out a page, and have a plan for a 2-3 hour practice.

Any suggestions for good team (compulsory but leading to optionals) lesson plans? I saw some on Swing Big for levels 1-5 but they look like they are from 2016 so not up to date with the current code. I saw some on Gymnastics Progressions that look more recent but $425 is a lot to not have a preview of a curriculum page. Any opinions on these or any other suggestions?
Can you ask the other coaches in the gym if you can have a look at their current/past planning/curriculum?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back