WAG How much time is spent on a high beam during beam?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JBS

ChalkBucket Founder
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
Crazy question...I'll reword it.

What percent of each beam workout is each gymnast actually on a high beam?...not on a floor line or a fat beam or anything else. Do your gymnasts wait on the beam?...or on the floor?

For example...1 hour beam workout...30 minutes of it is on high beam = 50%

I think our situation is a bit different as we only have 1 high beam (2 floor beams), so a good part of each girls beam training is spent on the low beams or floor lines, basically anything beyond a brief warm-up and making it through the assigned number of full routines that day. It's definitely not ideal as the girls are becoming very low beam dependent, some not venturing to the high beam unless told directly by a coach. I'm interested in hearing how other coaches do things.

Depends on what they're working on, but we have 4 high beams, 2 mid-rise and 4 low beams, so when working full routines or whatever the daily drill is they're on the high beam, working consistently. Once done, they'll either work new skills (or ones they struggled with/fell on during routine reps) on the low beam or on a line. Coaches try to divide the training groups so that there isn't a lot of waiting around for any group no matter what they're doing.

I would say DD's team averages at least 75% of their time on the high beam. They are only on the low or floor beam if learning or warming up a new skill. DD's gym has a lot of beams (more than 10), and if two groups are on beam at the time, the girls will double up on a beam to warm up, work jumps, etc. Currently, they are not in season, so no full routines, and less waiting. When they are in season, they will wait on the floor, and usually have down time for only one (occasionally two) routines.

DDs beam situation is pretty much the same as GymnastCentralMom DD's. We don't quite have 10 beams, but there is enough that doubling up for skills while others do routines works out that so that everyone can be up there all the time. Floor beams and lines are only for warming up scary skills or working on new ones...once a girl becomes consistent w/ a skill, she wouldn't use the low beam at all for it anymore. I like this approach cause I think it gets them used to how it is at meets.

At least 75% for my dd's gym. They only have one high beam and no low/fat beams. They might do some work on a floor line but everything else is up on the real beam. They do put lots of mats under it when trying to use it as a "low beam."

The girls spend the whole practice on the high beams, unless working a specific skill, they aren't 't completely competent on yet.

Almost all DDs beam time is on high beam. There is only one floor beam and one middle beam, and those are only used in the very beginning stages of a new skill. ALmost everything is done on high beam and they have more than enough beams for everyone to get on.

We have 4 high beams, 4 medium beams, and two lower beams. We go on high beam and medium beam the whole time unless you are learning new skills.

We have 3 high beams and 1 floor beam. The gymnasts spend the majority of the session on the high beams. We put mats underneath to make it seem less scary when learning new skills.

If there is a choice, DD will pick the high beam to practice jumps, running, kicks, turns, handstands, etc. Otherwise, the girls rotate between conditioning and the low/mid beam. High beams is usually reserved for practicing routines.

About 50-50, obviously more routine work and core skills on high beam and more uptraining on low bea,. So it works out roughly equally at the end of the day.

DDs beam situation is pretty much the same as GymnastCentralMom DD's. We don't quite have 10 beams, but there is enough that doubling up for skills while others do routines works out that so that everyone can be up there all the time. Floor beams and lines are only for warming up scary skills or working on new ones...once a girl becomes consistent w/ a skill, she wouldn't use the low beam at all for it anymore. I like this approach cause I think it gets them used to how it is at meets.

Same here, we do have a few at varying degrees of "high" too so they get a skill on the low beam then step it up in heights until on the high high beam.

My club have 2 high beams, 2 training beams, 2 normal floor beams, 1 slightly wider floor beam and 2 padded floor beams.
We spend a lot of time on the high beams and training beams as that works 2-3 to a beam normally. We only use floor beams if we are lacking confidence on a new or difficult move alongside training beams with mat stacks.

95% of the time on high beam - there are 3 girls in her group and 3 beams. Low beams are used to warm up and for brand new skills.

Sent from my CnM Touchpad 9.7 using ChalkBucket mobile app

We have 4 high beams on which all the gymnasts spend about 10 minutes on doing kicks passé hold ect. Then we usually spend the rest of the time rotating around the beams, I would say about 50%. An exception might be when a meet is coming up they probably spend about 95% of the time on high beams. Hope this helps:jump:

We do 6 of each skill stuck on high beam then 6 beam routines on high beams stuck. We have 3 high beams 1 medium beam 2 low beams and we use the floor lines aswell

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back