WAG How sick to keep your kid home?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

lovegymnastics22

Proud Parent
I'm wondering if there is a best practice for moms on when to keep a sick kid home. For example, if she has fever in the morning and DD stays home from school, would you send her to gym if the fever is gone at gym time? Even if they still seem a little beat? What if you just sense your kid is coming down with something? What if she's getting over something but is going to be tired, and coughing and sneezing through the practice? My DD is 7 and she has missed a bunch of classes because of travel so I know our coaches just want me to get her into the gym, and I don't blame them. I want her in the gym too-- but not at the expense of giving her time to get over an illness or making it worse because she doesn't get a full nights sleep. So I'm not sure what the right call is.

Also, I can't just send her and tell her to have them call me if she says she feels sick because she'll never admit that to a coach. I'm interested in what coaches and other parents think is the right approach. My DD was almost never sick in the past, but unfortunately this is question has come up a few times recently.

I figure if they're too sick for school then they're too sick for gym.
If they have a fever in the morning then I definitely wouldn't send them.
I work on the principle that if they're sick to the extent where they might pass something on to another child, then they don't go. A good check for this is to think about how you would feel if someone else's child turned up with the same level of sickness as yours - would you be annoyed at them for potentially spreading something to your child? If yes, then don't send them.

If they're tired, they're probably still sick.
If it's a lingering cough after an illness or lingering runny nose that is manageable then they can go.

Agree my general rule is 24 hours without a fever although truthfully kids are infectious for many days before/after a given illness. They are little vectors.

I know she may have missed a lot as well but if she is not feeling well and tired then she prob won't get much out of practice anyway. Hope she feels better soon.

I have the no school=no gym policy as well.
Also, I think that even the cleanest gym is awful germy and I really don't want to send a run-down kid into the gym because she may pick up more germs in her run-down state. Rest and hydration I think is the most helpful thing when recovering from a fever and practice is not going to provide much of either. But I do agree its a tough call especially if your DD minimizes so she can go to practice!

I agree with above.

No school...no gym.
24 hours without fever (or other symptoms like vomiting) before return to school or gym

If there is a sense that D might be coming down with something, I typically allow him to go if his energy level is ok. If he si overly tired or lethargic, he gets a night off. HE has practices with a minor cold, but typically nothing worse than that.

Our rule is always no school=no gym. She is upset & mad every single time but she's not going to be her best anyway and she needs to rest to get better.

Also, from a parent whose kid has caught teammates yuck, it makes me angry to hear kids hacking up a lung, saying that they've been having diarrhea, vomiting or had a fever but mommy made them come anyway. I am diligent with my kid and I expect others to be that way too.

Same goes for school. We had several weeks at school of everyone having flu & strep (down to only 5-7 kids in her class daily) because parents dosed their kids up with Tylenol or Motrin & sent them to school instead of keeping them home & going to the doctor. Now, I know kids get sick sometimes at school & we don't know their sick until then but I know of several that left school puking with a fever only to come back the very next day and they had flu. Strep is easier in that once you get an antibiotic, you're good to go 24 hours after the first dose, but not flu.

Anyway, if there's a fever, stay until there's been 24 hours without a fever and that's without use of medicine. I promise, the coaches don't want it and the other parents will be grateful too.

Reactions: COz
There is a family I know that is notorious for sending their kid in to gym sick. It's happened multiple times even this year, and it drives everyone crazy, including the coaches. I don't know why the coaches don't have a right to just say "she can't be here, today".

Funny thing is, on the flip side, we have parents that keep their kids out multiple days for illness until they are more than healthy enough to come back, and the aforementioned parents question them upon return to make sure the kid is actually ready to be back. Drives everyone nuts!

My favorite is when they are so sick they step out of practice to puke or whatever. Really, stay home.

Reactions: sce
My daughter has strict instructions to not use the water fountain (she brings a water bottle) and to try and not touch her teammates if they appear sick. My Grandfather was a Dr and always told us "do not touch your face" so I have tried to instill that as well. Not perfect, but it does seem to help. We also stop in the restroom on our way out to wash hands.

As far as the original question, I don't send to practice if there is a fever present that day. We homeschool, so that changes the equation a bit, but we have a pretty rigorous daily schedule and if she's too exhausted or sick to stick to that, then I generally keep her home. Not only do I not want her to sicken her teammates, but injury is always a concern as head colds and such can cause balance issues. Once they're doing harder/optional level skills, that can be quite dangerous.

We also go by the no school = no gym policy, I think if they can't be a school learning while sick, how can they get through a 4 hour practice, that consist of conditioning and regular skill training.

Generally if they are feeling good and have gone to school but still have a lingering cough or running now, then I will send them.

Yup, we're in the too sick for school, too sick for gym camp. I've broken the rule a couple times, but that's what I've told my kids.

Keep in mind too if you kid isn't feeling well, then injury is more likely - and then the kid will be out for an even longer time than a day or too.

Kids are training hard skills, and if they don't have their strength, don't feel 100%.....well, who knows what can happen. Not worth that risk.

Fully agree with all the above points as well. If in doubt at all, keep them home.

Also in the no school - no gym camp. We also kept DD home because she was recovering from the stomach flu and while she was feeling better, she was afraid to eat, and how can I expect her to work out for three hours if she hasn't eaten in three days?

No gym if I've had a fever the day before, am dizzy from being sick, or was to sick to do school (I'm homeschooler so you that's when I'm REALLY sick!). My moms new rule that went into effect this week is: no gym if you have any stomach symptoms. I had the stomach flu this week and a play on Saturday so I'm especially not allowed to potentially get myself sicker!

I usually use the no gym rule if the illness is contagious, with the exception of a cold. We have a small homeschool group that just about ALL of them got the flu at the same time! They all started showing symptoms on the same day.

Also agree with the no school = no gym. However, DD will fight tooth-and-nail to go to school, even when obviously, disgustingly sick. Last time I kept her home (from school and gym) she cried and screamed and yelled nasty things at me to try to convince me that she should go!!! I had to tell her that her obvious overreaction was a clear indicator that she was exhausted and needed a break!

I'm baffled by this question and by the number of people I've encountered that don't use reason with this. Sick kids need to rest. Sick kids need to not expose other people to their illness. Fever in the last 24 hours - sty home. Vomiting in the last 24 hours - stay home. Diarrhea in the last 24 hours - stay home. New cough and/or obvious nasal congestion and/or sore throat- stay home. (Please note this includes symptoms that go away with medication, because you are still contagious even if the fever is brought down by meds.)

This has nothing to do specifically with gymnastics either, these are rules that should be followed in every situation. Sick = STAY HOME!

I'm baffled by this question and by the number of people I've encountered that don't use reason with this. Sick kids need to rest. Sick kids need to not expose other people to their illness. Fever in the last 24 hours - sty home. Vomiting in the last 24 hours - stay home. Diarrhea in the last 24 hours - stay home. New cough and/or obvious nasal congestion and/or sore throat- stay home. (Please note this includes symptoms that go away with medication, because you are still contagious even if the fever is brought down by meds.)

This has nothing to do specifically with gymnastics either, these are rules that should be followed in every situation. Sick = STAY HOME!

Like Like Like!!! I will say my high schooler will go to school with illness that I would have kept him home with in elementary. But, he isn't sharing toys, knows how to clean his nose, and how to wash his hands. But he doesn't do after school activities. My gymnast, I have to force to stay home. BUt I am the mom, and the ride, so really, what I say goes :)

Ours arn't allowed to school until 48 hours after sickness / diarrhoea too sick for school means too sick for anything, its just common politeness not to spread the lurgy.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back