I know this sounds basic but what is an "Artistic Gymnast"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DD is in advanced kindergym (she's 4). I was talking with her coach and she said they were thinking about adding advanced tumbling next semester for DD's age. I said that I would like for her to work on tumbling more to build her skills. Her coach said DD was definitely an Artistic Gymnast due to her form and flexibility. Does this mean she shouldn't do tumbling? If she wasn't an Artistic Gymnast what type of gymnast would she be?

There are several different "kinds" of gymnastics: rhythmic, acro, T&T and then artistic. Artistic gymnastics is, technically speaking, the kind of gymnastics where the gymnast participates in floor exercise, vault, beam and uneven bars. You can visit :: USA Gymnastics :: to find out more about the different programs. Hey, I just noticed that Nastia is featured in People Magazine!

Thanks! That's what I thought. I guess I was thinking that a tumbling class would help her with all the rotations. The coach must be thinking that the adv tumbling class is for those girls who were actually going to stay on the tumbling route. Does that sound right?

it sounds like your coach is seeing her as a possible team member in the near future for JO program. Artistic gymnastics is the one that most people are familur with - what you see in the olympics with Nastia Lukin, shawn Johnston etc.

Can you really tell the type of gymnast a child should be at age 4? That seems kind of extreme to me. I mean, I know rhythmic gymnasts generally have ballet-dancer body types and artistic gymnasts are often more muscular and short, but how can anyone tell what a four year old is going to grow up to be like, and even if you could what would it matter?

Um it doesn't matter? I was just trying to understand what she was talking about. What it means to me is that at this point in time, my daughter fits better with artistic gymnastics.

Edit: After thinking about my convo with the coach. It sounds like maybe they are dividing the adv classes into two paths artistic or tumbling. AND I have NO clue how they can tell the difference.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was flaming you for your question. Others had already answered it, so my comment was mainly a serious question about why the coach of a four year old would want to track someone so young due to body type. I don't know how they can tell the difference either. I know there are some preschool gymnastics coaches on the board though, so maybe they can help with an answer. :)

That's ok! I know that she said something about DD having good flexibility and form but that's sort of what confused me (wouldn't that be better for tumbling?). She said something about tumblers especially around her age have more of a stiff body and back? I have no clue what she meant! I just thought it was being offered as an extra class to work on skills but she made it sound like DD wouldn't be a good fit for it and that's what I didn't understand and why I think it's more of a different track deal.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back