WAG I need help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I've been working oon my upstart (or kip for you Americans) since I was 12, and I still haven't maganged to get it! My hips don't quite touch the bar, and I'm in too much of a rush to swap my grip round. I am SO close to getting it by myself, and if a coach has their hand on my back, I can do it, as long as I'm not tired:p.

Could you possibly give me some suggestions? <3

A trick that one of my daughter's coaches taught her and seems to help is to try to get your toes to your hands. Maybe one of the coaches on here can explain better since I'm not really qualified to break that advice down. I've just seen that it works...

Back in my gymnast days, what helped me get it was recording a gymnast on TV doing one, then replaying in super slow motion frame by frame so I could see exactly what their body was doing. After I did that, I got it real easy.

as i have posted before, and has worked for others, when your shoulders get above the bar go for a front hip circle. understand? don't try to do it perfect and go to support. go past support and just go for a front hip circle. you'll make it and it will then teach you what you need to do.:)

Hi! For a lot of gymnasts, when they are working on their kip, they go through a phase when they are SO CLOSE but just can't get it. I think that a VERY common error that people who are still learning to kip make is after getting your toes to the bar and shooting them up is that instead of leaning their torso forward and over the bar they create a "forward BACKWARD whip motion" I know that didn't really make sense, but they sort of lean forward jerk back, then lean again. A few things that could help this: 1) stay tight in your kip! Squeeze your muscles!!! 2) a lot of girls instead of moving their feet upward near the bar get their toes to the bar and then shoot them up and away, which messes up the kip.Good luck, I hope I helped!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back