Off Topic I quit

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

If you were my daughter, I would not expect you to refund the meet fees, etc. as others have suggested. My daughter would've felt guilty and wanted to do that, but I would not have allowed her to. Every parent knows that gymnastics is a sport where you pay for everything upfront well in advance. This is a gamble the parents commit to knowing their child could get injured or burned out (which in many cases is no different from an injury) and the money is wasted. Unless you and your parents made some type of agreement that you had to refund the money if you quit, I don't think it's reasonable to expect you to pay them back.

I think you can save for the puppy and the skates if you are motivated. Try selling your leotards and try looking for your puppy at a rescue because the hypoallergenic ones really are out there. We spoke with a trainer at a dog training facility when we were looking at getting a golden doodle. They told me that those dogs are frequently rehomed by older people who fall in love with them, but don't realize how insanely full of energy they are. They asked for my name and told me they would contact me as soon as they learned of one. I never needed them to find me one because about 2 weeks later I found the hypoallergenic dog I was looking for at a shelter. I would contact places like that and let them know what you are looking for. Check the rescue listings daily and have your parents fill out the adoption form in advance to show your interest and commitment. Good luck.

If you were my daughter, I would not expect you to refund the meet fees, etc. as others have suggested. My daughter would've felt guilty and wanted to do that, but I would not have allowed her to. Every parent knows that gymnastics is a sport where you pay for everything upfront well in advance. This is a gamble the parents commit to knowing their child could get injured or burned out (which in many cases is no different from an injury) and the money is wasted. Unless you and your parents made some type of agreement that you had to refund the money if you quit, I don't think it's reasonable to expect you to pay them back.

I think you can save for the puppy and the skates if you are motivated. Try selling your leotards and try looking for your puppy at a rescue because the hypoallergenic ones really are out there. We spoke with a trainer at a dog training facility when we were looking at getting a golden doodle. They told me that those dogs are frequently rehomed by older people who fall in love with them, but don't realize how insanely full of energy they are. They asked for my name and told me they would contact me as soon as they learned of one. I never needed them to find me one because about 2 weeks later I found the hypoallergenic dog I was looking for at a shelter. I would contact places like that and let them know what you are looking for. Check the rescue listings daily and have your parents fill out the adoption form in advance to show your interest and commitment. Good luck.
Thank you for the advice! I got skates as an early birthday gift but my parents made the condition that I either had to pay for lessons myself, or just do open skate every week until they have recovered the money they lost. Then they will start paying for lessons as my new sport. As for the puppy, we are in no rush right now, but are keeping our eye on a few rescues. If we have no luck by the end of the school year with the shelters we will look into breeders.

Thank you for the advice! I got skates as an early birthday gift but my parents made the condition that I either had to pay for lessons myself, or just do open skate every week until they have recovered the money they lost. Then they will start paying for lessons as my new sport. As for the puppy, we are in no rush right now, but are keeping our eye on a few rescues. If we have no luck by the end of the school year with the shelters we will look into breeders.
That sounds very reasonable to me :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back