Parents I wish we could schedule this for parents

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

Deleted member 18037

I don't watch practice. I just can not deal with all the parent/drama (and we are a low drama gym all things considered).

And I also have come to realize occasional watching is not a bad thing because I had the opportunity to watch last week. I was the only parent at practice. It was so nice to see my kid, where she is at and what needs work.

I go to just watch, it was awesome.

I just wish I could schedule a couple days a year to just watch by myself.

If only we could have a sign up to watch practice by ourselves.

And I got to see where the best place is for her. Could she do 6? Yes. Should she? No. L5 is best place for her this year.

I rarely watch practice either, but if I do I try to go on the slowest day and hope I'm either the only one or at least one of the few there. Much better that way!

Congrats to your dd! She will rock L5, and she will be even more prepared for optionals next year!

I haven't watched one practice all summer, in fact I've only been to the gym once (and that was to drop off a payment, DD wasn't even there) but since summer is ending and I won't have a nanny next week, I'll be taking DD to a couple practices. I can't wait to see her progress!! Maybe the stars will align and I'll have the whole viewing area to myself as well :D

I don't watch practice. I just can not deal with all the parent/drama (and we are a low drama gym all things considered).

And I also have come to realize occasional watching is not a bad thing because I had the opportunity to watch last week. I was the only parent at practice. It was so nice to see my kid, where she is at and what needs work.

I go to just watch, it was awesome.

I just wish I could schedule a couple days a year to just watch by myself.

If only we could have a sign up to watch practice by ourselves.

And I got to see where the best place is for her. Could she do 6? Yes. Should she? No. L5 is best place for her this year.

1. sit far away from everyone
2. pretend like you are reading a book/playing pokemon go

or

3. have regular adult conversations with the other parents on non-gym related topics? (I would also avoid politics and religion...)

One thing I love about our gym is the noticeable absence of CGM's. I am probably one of the crazier looking mom's because of my awareness of what comes next because of this site, but as an educator, I like knowing what comes next.

One thing I love about our gym is the noticeable absence of CGM's. I am probably one of the crazier looking mom's because of my awareness of what comes next because of this site, but as an educator, I like knowing what comes next.

I feel the same way about my gym, not to many CGM's. I might be the craziest but I'm also the dance coach so when they look bad, whether it's my daughter's group or not, I feel it. Every wonkie turn or bad jump, unpointed toe or bent knee, I feel it.

As we all know, I watch practices... Even if my gymmies aren't there. After all, I have to watch to keep my "bench coach" status (and to learn the names of the new girls) so I will know what scores go with which girls once meets start.
When HC is gone, it is good to have my eyes there - to keep them on track. :)
I have my own special seat, so others don't bother me and I can observe everything.
Watching can be a good thing. Keep it up when you can.

So funny...I often go for the opposite reasons- I love catching up with the parents. I like to watch my gymmie, too, but we've really lucked out with the parents at her level and in the summer for the last half an hour or so of practice we're often the only ones up there (school year is a different story, although there isn't much drama). There are only 5 in her group and we've been together for a few years, and all get along really well. We're thinking about moving next year and this is my biggest bummer if we have to change gyms!

1. sit far away from everyone
2. pretend like you are reading a book/playing pokemon go

or

3. have regular adult conversations with the other parents on non-gym related topics? (I would also avoid politics and religion...)
This is not possible the waiting room is too small. Impossible to be far enough away to not hear the nonsense.

So funny...I often go for the opposite reasons- I love catching up with the parents. I like to watch my gymmie, too, but we've really lucked out with the parents at her level and in the summer for the last half an hour or so of practice we're often the only ones up there (school year is a different story, although there isn't much drama). There are only 5 in her group and we've been together for a few years, and all get along really well. We're thinking about moving next year and this is my biggest bummer if we have to change gyms!
I'm actually looking forward for summer practice to be over (morning practice while I'm at work) so that I can catch up with our gymmom group :)

I haven't been all summer either, as practice is during the day and I am always at work. I am looking forward to the fall schedule starting as I am excited to see the progress made over the summer!

Out of curiosity - did your gym plan to compete a L5 team this year? I thought I recalled that they were going to score out of 5 and do 6.
I'm just wondering if they opened up a L5 team for a group that just weren't ready to go L6?

When DD was ending L4, she scored out of L5, and went to L6. We were told "nobody around here competes L5". But now I'm looking at the group of L4's from this past year, and two did score out of 5 last spring, but it does not look like they are moving forward with the rest of the group to score out in October like DD's "rest of her group" did, to then go forward to L6. It is seeming as if they are positioning this group for a year of L5.

Now it's making me wonder if the dust has settled with the new L6 (and a lot of gyms going from L4 to L6/7), and that now there will be more L5s.
Things that make you go "hmmm?" ;)

I love watching my daughter train when the chance presents itself. Our gym is big enough to remove oneself from any drama, of which there is little of.

Out of curiosity - did your gym plan to compete a L5 team this year? I thought I recalled that they were going to score out of 5 and do 6.
I'm just wondering if they opened up a L5 team for a group that just weren't ready to go L6?

When DD was ending L4, she scored out of L5, and went to L6. We were told "nobody around here competes L5". But now I'm looking at the group of L4's from this past year, and two did score out of 5 last spring, but it does not look like they are moving forward with the rest of the group to score out in October like DD's "rest of her group" did, to then go forward to L6. It is seeming as if they are positioning this group for a year of L5.

Now it's making me wonder if the dust has settled with the new L6 (and a lot of gyms going from L4 to L6/7), and that now there will be more L5s.
Things that make you go "hmmm?" ;)

This is actually the first year they entertained scoring out of any level. They have always had a L5 and L6 team. And it turns out they decided not score most out. They really feel that L5 will help their skills more than 6, in particular bars. They will all probably meet JO requirements to move, but not coaches requirements

My daughter does less practice then most of the kids. She has always been on the cusp of the next level and it is usually bars that is the weakest point. Add in being out 8 weeks for her wrist injury she is just not there. So L5 it is. Her group this year leaving L4, 4 have decided to not continue gym. Majority going to L5, only 2 up for a score out and that is not even final yet. So we will have about half a dozen L6 girls, with 2 coming from L4. I can tell you the ones that did L5 last year are way ahead of the kids who are going straight from 4 with their bars.

I'm sorry she won't get to compete her layout flyaway again, along with her beam and floor, until her IGC season in spring. But I know her bars will be much better for having done L5. Again, her bar skills take time given her hours. So 2 years L6 or one L5, one L6 its fine. I was so hoping not to hear compulsory music anymore :confused:o_O:eek: but she is good with it. So its all good. Whatever helps her gymnastics best.

^^^^ And again watching practice really helped. Usually I see only one level, whatever level my kid is at. At meets. So to see the difference on where all the kids are at really helped.

Will the 2 going to 6 do OK? Yep. But the L6 kids who were L5 last year are significantly better. My guess is the parents of the 2 will be kicking up the privates.

That all makes sense. Thanks!! Wasn't sure which way it was going - having a L5 and L6 team to scoring out, or normally scoring out and now having L5.
Just trying to figure out (for no reason other than curiosity) which way the tide is turning - more gyms doing L5 and L6, or jumping 5 to go straight to 6/7.

That all makes sense. Thanks!! Wasn't sure which way it was going - having a L5 and L6 team to scoring out, or normally scoring out and now having L5.
Just trying to figure out (for no reason other than curiosity) which way the tide is turning - more gyms doing L5 and L6, or jumping 5 to go straight to 6/7.
There is no tide at our gym :cool:

We do, lower hours then most. Split season JO to early states. Then an optional season even for the little kids. Coaches like the JO complusories they feel it gives the kids a strong foundation. And then the flexibility of an optional season.

They have always done it this way. This was first year they even thought about scoring anyone out of any level.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back