Parents IGC newbie

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This summer my dd will be spending a week at IGC for the first time. I'm not really sure what to expect. She's never been to a residential camp (or a gym camp).
I'm looking over the list of things my dd needs to bring and I know I'm going to have a lot of questions. Thank goodness for the Chalk Bucket!

First question: They say that whatever she brings to hold her clothes needs to be less than 14" high and that a "rolling duffle" works well. Does anyone have any experience with this? What's the best sort of luggage to bring? She has her own rolling suitcase, should I just send her with that? Or does it make sense to purchase a "rolling duffle"?

Thanks! And I'm sure I'll have a bazillion more questions so stay tuned. :)

Dd just took a regular suitcase with wheels and it worked fine. It's a long walk from the parking lot to the cabins and most of it is paved so it's easy to handle regular suitcases. The luggage has to go under the beds so two kids have to fit their luggage under the bottom bunk. The kids get drawers to put their stuff in so dd unpacked her suitcase the first night and then used it for dirty clothes.

We got a rolling duffle bag three three years ago as suggested. We've used it every year for camp (2 each year), but we've never used it outside of camp so I'd use that as a gauge. I definitely recommend something that rolls and remember it needs to fit under a bunk. I find the hardest part at IGC (for me - not DD) is the inability to have direct communication. I use the bunk notes every and send a care package, but I miss hearing how things are going during the week.

My daughters are also going to IGC for the first time and it will be their first time away from home. We purchased rolling duffles and hope they fit under the bunks! They are very excited and are looking forward to their first "sleep away" camp experience!

My dd is also going this summer in week3. It will be her first time at any camp and I hope she will have the time of her life. In the end I think it will be worse for me than her.

I am interested to see what others have to say as I would normally over pack, but as we have flights to deal with and the luggage issue I am forced to keep it light!

Thanks for the advice! I'm so glad to see I'm not the only mom of a first-timer here.
I think we are going to try it with just a rolling suitcase (I measured and it's less than 14" tall). If it turns out to be an issue... well, there's always next year!

How do bunk notes work?

We used a rolling suitcase. They worked just fine and were easy to roll along.

Bunk notes were great. Once you log into your IGC account you can find the link to buy them. YOu can buy all different amounts. I sent one a day to both my girls and they loved getting them. You can write a lot to them. ALl the family added a bit each day. They are quite cheap, I think about $2 each. They are delivered daily to the cabins. You can add puzzles and pictures for more creidts.

YOu can also check the photo galeries each day and try to spy your girls, that was the highllight of the day for me. We would always be travelling in the US when they went to IGC. I was able to enjoy the fact that they looked happy whilst I was having fun without them.

Just got home from dropping DD off at IGC. Wow! That place looks amazing! I was sad to leave her, but she didn't seem all that sad to see me leave! lol! I think not having her around for a week is going to take some getting used to.

We bought her the care package that had the leo in it, and I purchased 10 (for now) bunk notes.
The suitcase I bought her worked out just fine. The bunks are really pretty high up off the ground. As of now, I think the only thing I wish we'd known to bring was a small plastic box to put her stuff in (like bug spray and sunscreen) at the top of her little dresser. You can really tell who has been to IGC before because their bunks are all kitted out already.

Can't wait to check out the photo galleries!

I have been thrilled to see my DD in a bunch of pics from IGC (although none today, but oh well). It looks like everyone is having a really wonderful time. What I was *NOT* thrilled about was what I found when I checked on her canteen account to see if she needed more money. Here it is, her first week away from home ever, and she's buying candy bars and cotton candy and ice cream EVERY DAY. She does not eat stuff like that at home!
I'm seriously peeved by her choices, but what I really can't understand is why that sort of thing is even available at a gymnastics camp? Don't they teach - or even just support - good nutrition values? Ugh.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back