Coaches In Need of a Coach's Opinion

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

First post for me so please bear with me. We are in need of a coach's opinion regarding the ability of our current coach. The coach in question has done very well in our area in compulsory,but has not been involved in optionals that we know of and is now the optional coach due to quality coaches leaving. Last year the coach cost a gymnast 1st AA at a major competition for putting in skills that were not allowed (2pt ded). Recently the same coach wanted the gymnast to perform a harder skill instead of the required skill on floor. If I did not bring it to her attention it would have happened again to the same gymnast (my daughter). The other parents are stressed for fear it could happen to their daughters and I am frustrated because I should not be put in the position to have to look at this. Does this sound like someone we can trust with taking our girls from levels 7-10? What should we look for in an optional coach? How should something like this be handled? Thanks

I know I'm probably not the coach you want to respond but either way I am a coach and I do have an opinion on this as I used to have a coach that did the same to me and cost me 1st on floor and possibly 1st AA in my first competition level 4 (level 4 is optional routines here with required skills/some bonus'). If I was a parent there is no way I would want the responsibility of making sure my daughter's routines were 'by the book'. That is not the parents job. It is the coaches. To deal with this I would try and get to the bottom of why this is happening. He is knew to optionals so maybe he is just not sure of the rules yet. Maybe tell him that you are interested in the requirements and COP and looked into it and that you have noticed your daughter's routine doesn't meet some of the criteria. He might just be unaware of his mistakes. Failing that I would directly confront him about the incident with your daughter and ask why she was sent into the competition with skills that weren't allowed. As a coach I would want to send the gymnasts into competition with the best chance of scoring to their personal best and would never send a gymnast in with skills that I know will take away from their score (beyond the obvious deductions) and I'm sure this coach isn't deliberately doing it either

Thanks gymgurl! You make good points and I am currently trying to get to the bottom of things. Both times this happened a layman like me was able to find the answer in 5 min so it's a huge concern. In both cases the gymnast was doing skills above the level she was in. To date I have not even heard any acknowledgement that an error was made, a sorry or "thanks for making me aware of it. Now the challenge is to get it resolved without looking like a crazy parent.

First post for me so please bear with me. We are in need of a coach's opinion regarding the ability of our current coach. The coach in question has done very well in our area in compulsory,but has not been involved in optionals that we know of and is now the optional coach due to quality coaches leaving. Last year the coach cost a gymnast 1st AA at a major competition for putting in skills that were not allowed (2pt ded). Recently the same coach wanted the gymnast to perform a harder skill instead of the required skill on floor. If I did not bring it to her attention it would have happened again to the same gymnast (my daughter). The other parents are stressed for fear it could happen to their daughters and I am frustrated because I should not be put in the position to have to look at this. Does this sound like someone we can trust with taking our girls from levels 7-10? What should we look for in an optional coach? How should something like this be handled? Thanks

Are the only concerns you have dealing with the allowable skills/rules? Are the gymnasts progressing in a safe and reasonable manner? Is the new coach trying to learn and improve? Is she now the "head coach", or are there other, more senior coaches on staff? It sounds like she was thrust into a position without much/any prior notice.

It could be a case of an unqualified coach that has no business coaching at the level they are coaching at. However, it could also just be a coach that is new to optionals trying their best to figure it all out without a mentor to help them along.

None of us know the situation and we have not watched the practices, so we can't give you an answer, I am afraid. If you feel like she knows how to teach the skills and there will simply be a learning curve with the rules, I would be inclined to stick it out for a while. However, if there are an increasing number of injuries and/or kids becoming stagnant or the quality of the skills begins to suffer, I would consider bringing it to the owner or (if applicable) head coach's attention. Good luck!

I'm not specifically hung up on allowable skills,but more on the coach and her limitations. The coach is very experienced and has had success in compulsory for years. Team had well known coaches for a short time and the contrast is clear. This coach is taking on too much: compulsory and optionals. I still can't explain how she could not review the rules as I did or know what the required skill was on floor level 7. Thanks for your response.

So the bottom line to answer to can she take them from levels 7-10 is are the skills being done in a safe and technically correct manner? I agree, she should know the rules, but I've had National Team level coaches from other countries that didn't know the rules but clearly could coach the skills. So I mean, it might end up being a deduction in level 7, but she is having good progress in skills, eventually there won't be these allowable skill deductions and she'll do fine.

On the other hand it's pretty obvious (to me, anyway) what's allowed and there's no point competing that level if you're going to do harder routines...go to the next level. But I would have to know more, whether the practices are safe and consistent, etc. If this coach the owner or head coach? Perhaps just respectfully let them know what happen (allowable skill deduction) and if they could review the optional cheat sheet chart with them. I guess you still have to know the skill value, but it's pretty well laid out.

Just adding, if the coach is unsure of routine composition and skill selection (but can teach the skills) The club should bring in a judge to asses routines and discuss with the coach some skill pathways for future routines. Having an in-house meet bringing in a judge or two will also make sure routines are being done in the best way for the rest of the season.

Just adding, if the coach is unsure of routine composition and skill selection (but can teach the skills) The club should bring in a judge to asses routines and discuss with the coach some skill pathways for future routines. Having an in-house meet bringing in a judge or two will also make sure routines are being done in the best way for the rest of the season.

I've found this really helpful in our gym. Also something to consider is that as you say she's been coaching compulsory for a long time it could be that she is aware of the requirements 5 years ago or something for optional levels, and just has for some reason overlooked checking an updated version. It's not excusable but it may be worth somehow tactfully bringing up how you think a certain skill in the last update of skills is ridiculous for that value or something. I really hope you get it sorted out :)

It's not uncommon for coaches to get tunnel vision with respect to teaching, and as a result lose sight of the "small things" like what's required, allowed, or not allowed. Given a choice between a coach who can keep focused on the "rules" and one who has the knowledge and passion required to teach optional level skills....well you know.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back