Injured :'(

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Heyya,

In November 2009 i fractured my growth plate of my right wrist doing a back handspring! (of all the moves....a back handspring!)
I went into plaster cast for 7 weeks and had some physiotherapy afterwards.
Not even 3 weeks later i was back in Accident and Emergency with ANOTHER fractured growth plate. I was back in plaster again and thought it was all fixed! Not even 5 weeks after that it broke again and again after that!

Now i have gone 3 months without any broken bones but my confidence in gymnastics has descended completely. I was training 21 hours a week before hand and am working my way up but i am terrified it will break again. Anyone else experienced repeated injuries and has anyone got any tips for confidence building?????

Thanks for reading and hope you can help me

Newt1997 :rolleyes:

My DD fractrured the growth plate in her wrist doing a BHS in Nov 2008. I am sorry you have going through this. It sure seems like an awful lot of breaks. I would see another Dr. or follow up with your Ortho - maybe you are not getting enough calcium, perhaps you are not doing the tricks properly to prevent injury.

good luck to you and I hope you stay break free

I have had numerous injuries as a runner on high school and college as well as road racing as an adult. I learned a couple of things:

1) Listen to your body. General aches and pains from hard workouts are normal, but there are other pains that tell you something is wrong.

2) Rest/recovery time is critical. The body had only handle so much pounding.

3) If you are hurt, look at the physical therapy as part of your workout. Modify workouts to focus on other parts of the body that are healthy. Being injured does not have to mean "no training."

4) Stay positive - mental and emotional are as important as physical.

Good luck, figure out what you can do. Take time to get a solid workout routine going and don't be too hard on yourself.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back