Parents Injuries! Again!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

AlexsGymmyMom

Proud Parent
How do you deal with all the injuries that come along with gymnastics. Alex has once again injured herself. It is soo hard to see!

Alex is learning flyaways and she was VERY excited...in fact more excited than I have ever seen her before to be learning flyaways. She did one with very little spotting on Friday at practice and then Saturday she was doing a flyaway timer from the pit bar into the pit. Her coach told her to bring her knees to her chest while doing the timer and when she did she kindof over-rotated and drilled her knees into her chest. At first I thought she just had the wind knocked out of her but now I think she bruised her chest. I don't think it is serious but she is still saying her chest hurts a little. I am going to keep her home from gym Tuesday and hopefully she will feel better by Thursday practice.

I am hoping she will not be afraid of doing flyaways now but ever since she broke her foot this spring she is afraid of punching off the board for vault and is frightened of ROBHSBT on floor (I think because she has to punch harder off the floor with her feet). Sometimes I just wonder if it is worth it because it is very hard to see her hurt.

My oldest has has so many injuries, no broken bones mind you, but she just worked her way through them. I am often amazed at her tenacity to keep going through the time off, the physio, the rehab, being left behind by teammates. But I think if they want something badly enough they will work hard no matter what.

Mine always took time off when she hurt, she was always the one who decided to go back when the pain was gone.

Hope she feels better quickly. Sounds like she got a bruise so it shouldn't be too bad. If it hurts her to breath, bring her in.

I can see how you would feel how you do. After just one injury with my DD, I am already worried about the future, if she will be prone to injuries, etc. I would watch Alex and see how it goes. Skipping practice on Tuesday sounds like a plan. If she isn't better by Wednesday, I would get her checked out. Probably just bruised it bad though. Ouch.

DD had just gotten her ROBHSBT on the floor with just a very light spot before hurting her wrist. Now she has to start all over with all her floor tumbling and I hope she doesn't get any fear issues. It looked beautiful on the tumble track last week, hoping it will transfer to the floor.

Lots of healing energy to Alex.

Believe me last night I seriously thought about pulling both my girls out of thr gym!

DD and I talked about how she would def want a spot, I think I am more worried about it all than she is and she has a concussion!! eek!!

and If she doesnt get better I would def take her in!! hope she heals quick

It is hard to see your child hurt and makes you wonder if it is really worth the risk.
I would just let her stay at home and like Mariposa said take her to the doc if it is not getting better.You can have her ice and take Motrin for discomfort if she needs it.
My daughter bailed out of bhs layout on floor one time when she was I think 8 and rolled on her back jamming her knees into her mouth.She was bleeding from her lib,was bruised and swollen the next day.I was afraid to send her to school like that.
Hope Alex will feel better soon.

It so scary when they get hurt. I too find myself questioning if it's all worth it. But when you see how happy they are when they get a new skills, you realize how devasting they would be to be pulled out.

I would definitely get her checked out by doctor. I hope she heals quick. You'll be surprised how quickly they recover and she'll be doing flyaways in no time.

Hope she gets better. I know how you feel it is very nerve wracking daughter is recovering from stress fractures of her wrist and she is hoping to compete at States in 3 weeks. This week she just went back to being able to do the beam and bars but has to wait another week to get cleared for tumbling. I am so nervous that she will have trouble with her backhandspring. I am trying not to worry and do the right thing she started physical therapy but part of me feels like maybe we should just skip the rest of her meets until next season. But of course she is determined to compete at states. I would her get her checked out if she does not feel better in a few days just for your peace of mind.

I worry too.

My dd is currently in a cast since she broke two bones in her palm doing a bhs on the beam. I worry about fear issues on that particular skill, and getting behind her teammates. She hasn't done much bars in the last month, and then she got the cast, so no bars at all. She still goes to the gym almost everyday, and does extra conditioning during the bar rotation. She does run-bys on vault, and FT and BT on floor. She works on dance skills on the 2 foot beam. That's pretty much all she can do, but she pretty much stays there for the full 4.5 hours.

She also broke her leg last summer at the gym. Injuries for my dd has been a major part of this sport.

I feel your pain. Hope your dd feels better.

MamaofEnS

Thanks everyone! I am so glad to know I am not the only one feeling the same thing.

Alex is feeling alot better. She has not gone to gym at all this week. She has been using a heating pad on her chest some and that really helps alot so I am not quite a stressed out as I was earlier in the week! I think she may have pulled a muscle in there somewhere. Not sure if she will go to practice tonight. It all depends on how she feels.

In PE at school they are just started jump roping and she was telling me that the jumping still hurt in her chest a little. BUT...she still outjumped most of the kids in her class even with the injury! That just goes to show how great gymnastics is for overall fitness!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back