Parents Is there any reason to not allow gymnasts to use chalk on beam?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This is a question for everyone, but I would love to hear from the coaches. My dd is freaking out because they were just told no more chalk on beam. She is training level 8 and has had her bhs bhs solid for a month or so. Now, the no chalk rule is institued because the beams were just recovered. She is a VERY sweaty girl, and whether it's a crutch or not, what is the harm of the team using chalk? She came home from practice very upset because her feet slipped on her series causing her to have a pretty bad fall. She is not the only one concerned about this rule. They are all upset.

yes. we now have rules in place about chalking beams in competition. you can't. and then there is the chalk acting like sandpaper. it's magnesium of carbonate and it's gritty. it ruins the beam covers. beam covers must be replaced at a cost of $1500.00 minimum. if the gym uses chalk on beams and have several gymnasts the cover goes in 2 years. chalk also ruins mat covers. chalk ruins just about everything in a gym. chalk...the necessary evil.

many gyms do not allow chalk on any event except the apparatus. but not floor, beam, vault, tumbl trak, trampoline, etc;

now before anyone asks, yes you will see chalked used at some competitions both JO and FIG. like in the corner of floor and they mush it with their feet. but those floors are not used on a daily basis like the gyms with there are millions of repetitions being done every month. same with vaulting. and when that used equipment is sold back to the gyms the jobbers have power washed them. power washing too many times ruins the surfaces.

tell your daughter she will get used to it. it's a mental thing. and remember that they sweat during routines at competitions and you don't see them jump down every few seconds during a routine to chalk up.:)

for some of our overly schweaty kids? they use roll on deodorant on their hands in between some of the turns. works fine for them.

Thanks dunno. I never heard of using deodorant before, but that makes perfect sense. She has uber sweaty feet....stinky too. I know it is a mental thing as well. I did tell her that she just needs to be confident, but being allowed to wallow in it and then not allowed at all has been hard. Coach did state today that 4 girls, including mine, could use chalk on one beam because they are so sweaty. I am going to tell her to try the deodorant thing. It would be nice for her to overcome this crutch. Thanks so much for your insight.

So is it being said here that chalk does not help keep you from slipping? But if it does work for that then are you saying, you'd rather see the gymnast crash than stay on the beam cuz you can't use chalk? I'm just a bit confused....

we have not used chalk EVER. have never had a slipping problem. chalk on apparatus only as i listed above. i realize that this might be hard to wrap your mind around...but you don't need chalk on beam.

I always though the chalk was to keep the parts from being sweaty and draging on bars or what ever. I would think they would slip more with the chalk on the beam

I may have a different perspective from many. I don't think its necessarily a "crutch." You may want to talk to her doctor about sweating. I have a condition called hyperhidrosis, which just means I sweat too much. ALL THE TIME. If I had been a competitive gymnast, it would have been a major problem. Right now, I just peel off the holds at the rock gym instead, lol. If she really sweats that much, that chalk is probably necessary. I use a product called Drysol, sometimes works, others not, but its a good start. (I'm also getting botox in my hands for that! Wicked cool!)

Now, the no chalk rule is institued because the beams were just recovered. She is a VERY sweaty girl, and whether it's a crutch or not, what is the harm of the team using chalk?

Some need the chalk...for most it is a crutch.

Chalk on this and not on that...it's a girls thing. We have all of these rules for our girls team. The guys team...we do what we want. We even use honey on our equipment!

hey jbs, some of the girls do use honey at beam and vault. works great and better than chalk any day. honey doesn't wreck the covers.:)

Thanks dunno. I never heard of using deodorant before, but that makes perfect sense. She has uber sweaty feet....stinky too. I know it is a mental thing as well. I did tell her that she just needs to be confident, but being allowed to wallow in it and then not allowed at all has been hard. Coach did state today that 4 girls, including mine, could use chalk on one beam because they are so sweaty. I am going to tell her to try the deodorant thing. It would be nice for her to overcome this crutch. Thanks so much for your insight.

Better than deodorant is Drysol. You need a prescription for it, but it works very well especially for feet and hands. It's not a deodorant at all, but works as an anti-perspirant that you only have to apply once or twice a week. Ask your dd's doctor about it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back