WAG Is this accurate or complete nonsense?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was just told that in new level 4, girls get a deduction for not having grips. This sounds like utter rubbish to me. Is anyone in the know on this?

cbone -

USAG rules and policy don't mandate protective equipment; they may restrict some kinds, but they do not mandate anything. Have the person that told you that give you the chapter and verse of where it is written in the 2013-14 rules and policies (that aren't even published yet, BTW).

Considering none of our level 4s wear grips, I'm 100% certain that's incorrect. Grips aren't even required for Optionals or Elite, why on earth would they be required for level 4?!?

It came second-hand from a parent that said our coaches said that. I have read the table of penalties and the general faults and it is nowhere in there.

Sometimes the gym itself requires the kids to have them so they tell parents and gymnasts what they need to hear to buy them but grips have never been a deduction item.

I don't mind buying them if the coach wants my daughter to have them. Our coach recently indicated that it was time for grips. I just hate the deduction fear-mongering. My wife was freaked-out because the grips our coach wants are back-ordered and my wife found out production won't start for 4 weeks on this product. LOL @ the whole thing.

My daughter loves her Ginnasta grips, too. She is on the same pair of double buckles for just over a year. We are about to order a new pair for back up since her back ups are single buckle and she prefers double buckle. Amazing customer service and she lives their long length wrist bands, too! She has some different colors for practice and one that matches her leo for meets.

If your coach doesn't mind them using other grips, give them a try. My kiddo tried 2 other brands and just loves Ginnasta. Though to be fair she only compared the velcro ones. She had only used the Ginnasta brand for buckles. She can kip after a few swings.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

I don't mind buying them if the coach wants my daughter to have them. Our coach recently indicated that it was time for grips. I just hate the deduction fear-mongering. My wife was freaked-out because the grips our coach wants are back-ordered and my wife found out production won't start for 4 weeks on this product. LOL @ the whole thing.
well, that is really weird in that if the coaches wanted the girls in grips, then they should have been in them during training season, not just before meet season starts. I believe I remember you saying you have fall and winter seasons, right?

Yes, we have two seasons, the first of which begins in a little less than two months. Most of the team already had them because they thought it made them cool like the older girls. I spoke with our head coach about grips and he told me that he'd let me know when it was time. He just let us know last week. It seems to me to be short notice switching to them two months out, but I trust him.

No grips, no deduction....... without a doubt. One thing I'm not sure of is the little known deduction I heard (whispered as I walked past the judges hospitality room) of that takes a .1 deduction for kids under the age of 8 who forget their stuffed animal good luck charm....... ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back