Judging Gymnastics 101

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

cher062

:confused: Not sure if this is the right place to post this and I'm sure the moderators will move it if needed but in our region they just posted a workshop called Judging Gymnastics 101. It happens in about a months time and cost $50. its goes from 9am - 5:30 pm. i have been told by coaches and parents over the years I would make a good judge and should consider it. So now this workshop pops up and I'm considering it. So for those judges and other Gymnastics people who are in the know - is this type of workshop common? and does it really help going down that path? they will be focusing on L7 and L8 but say it will prepare you to also test for Cumpulsory levels as well.

Any thoughts?

If you are interested in learning more...then sign-up. It will be worth your money if it is a judging course. Do you have a link to the course?

It was on the USAG region web site so I am assuming it is official and it is put on actually by the Region with an instructor who is a Brevet Official. It is the same day and location that they are doing judge testing but we will be in the workshop when they are testing.

I just looked at the website and I would recommend doing this if you are interested in becoming a judge. A course like this is actually not that common, in terms of offering judging education to people who are interested in becoming a judge.

There have been a ton of threads in the last few months about becoming a judge and the lack of information available on how to do it. The first part of this course appears to be about just that, which is awesome. Then you can hear from the leaders in your region how to become a judge, how to go about getting on the assignment list, how many meets you can expect, etc.

Also - if they are focusing on 7/8 there won't be too much to help you with the 5/6 test because a lot of the deductions are different. However, you can take the 7/8 test without having a 5/6 rating. A lot of judges take the 7/8 first then the 5/6 later.

My last words of encouragement to do this are: just because you take the course it doesn't mean you have to become a judge. This will be a good way to see if you enjoy watching routines, finding deductions and doing math:) Better to find out for $50 than to find out for the cost of the tests, the NAWGJ membership fee and the USAG membership fee, background check and safety certification...not to mention the uniform.

Good luck and I'll be excited to hear how it goes!!!

Thanks Gympanda. I think I'm going to do it. I've been out of work for awhile now and this would be a good sorce of extra income if I can follow through. Everyone here keeps telling me to go for it and I would be good at it as I can usually tell within a tenth of a point what the girls at meet are going to get. I can actually see alot of the deductions now. So I think I'm doing it. I'll let you know how it was.

Well I signed up for this and it's this weekend I guess I'll find out what I need to see if I want to continue down this path this Sat. I am actually excited about the course and hope it looks really interesting - wish me luck!!

I can't wait to hear how it goes!!! Make sure you let us know. Good luck and don't get discouraged if parts of it seem hard at first. It's just like actually doing gymnastics, it takes some practice then it will just click!

Heading out the door now - Reallyl excited about the course hope it is worth the money and i like what I see
Have a great day all.

The workshop was great. Lots of pointers as to what is on the tests and what to study for. Lots of great info for anyone going into judging. Looks like if I am going forward on this I have alot of studying to do - especially the deduction points. The instructor was great and made it interesting and fun (which is hard because lets face it the material is a bit dry) Met alot of nice people and the girl that was sitting beside me- lives 3 streets away from me LOL. Didn't even know her before that day.

So I think I'm going to move forward with this but I don't think I will be ready in 3 weeks to take any test at any level (which is when the next one is around here). I definitly need a good 6 months of studying and practice and learn some of the judge shorthand before signing up for a test. But over all it was a good course and I would recommend it to anyone thinking of going into the judging field.

The one thing they did let us know is that they are in need of Judges just about everywhere around the country in JO, High School and College Gymnastics - So if you have ever had an interest in doing judging you are needed. Just ask your state or region judge rep and they can get you started.

So when the big day comes that I pass the 5/6 or 7/8 judge test I'll let you guys all know that I'm well on my way.

you can for sure take the test in 3 weeks! the best way to get good is to just pass the test and start judging. As for the studying LOTS of flashcards, and I LOVE gymquest; it's a program you download that has all the deductions in quiz form, and was a total lifesaver for me. Home Good luck and happy judging!

you can for sure take the test in 3 weeks! the best way to get good is to just pass the test and start judging. As for the studying LOTS of flashcards, and I LOVE gymquest; it's a program you download that has all the deductions in quiz form, and was a total lifesaver for me. Home Good luck and happy judging!

I can take it in 3 weeks but the odds of me passing right now isn't that good. Still need to memorize a few things and it isn't cheap to take so If I'm going for it I want to make sure I feel like I have a chance to pass so I don't have to keep retaking it. Not a happy warm feeling going into a test feeling like you aren't going to pass.

GOOD LUCK with your studying!!! My best advise about learning deductions is learn them in a group. So learn all of the "up to .1" deductions together. It makes it a lot easier to remember the deduction amount when you can associate it with the others in the group.

You'll be ready before you know it! Plus, you only have to get a 70% on the 5/6 test to pass:)

hanks panda - I'm hoping I'll be ready for the next one ofter the 3 week away one. At least that is my goal. Ido have until the end of this week to sign up for the one 3 weeks away and everyone that encouraged me to try this keeps saying go for it in 3 weeks. Well I'll have to wait and see how prepared I feel on Friday LOL but I don't think I will be ready LOL.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back