Parents Just when you think it's never going to happen......

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

juststartingout

Proud Parent
I posted a week or two ago about my daughters struggle with vault. This has been ongoing for quite a long time (6 months or more). They only practice vault every other week and she was only averaging 15 or so vaults on the weeks they did do vault. Well it finally clicked at Saturday's practice, she did 10 good ones on the higher mat that they never even really use. She had a meet Sunday and I was so nervous that maybe it was just a fluke but she went up and did 2 beautiful vaults!!!! She came out with 1st on floor, beam, bar, and all around and 2nd on vault at only her 2nd meet ever. Her first meet she got 2nd on beam and 3rd on bar and didn't place on the other 2 and 3rd all around. Her vault at her first meet was 6.9, she went up over 2 points. Huge improvement in one month and with twice as many girls to compete with this time. I know there were a lot of parents who said their kids were struggling too so tell them to not give up it will happen. The one drill they started doing before she got it that I think finally helped was that they would put a folded panel mat sitting the tall way between the vault mat and the spring board. This seemed to help them stop diving for the mat. Another girl in her group who has struggled with vault for over a year figured it out the same day as my daughter so I really think this drill was helpful since it was the first week they had ever used it. I'm more proud of that 2nd place metal than all the 1st places because she had to work so hard for it.

Great news!! They started doing that same drill at our gym and it has helped my DD as well

Congrats on the improvement!!

My DD struggled with vault for YEARS. From levels 4 till the summer before level 7, she had the hardest time. She just kept plugging away till something "clicked"!

My DD struggled with vault , got 8's for 2 years (front hand spring vault, grr), then at States, suddenly vaulted this beautiful vault! It was a 9.45! And won 1st place!

I asked her " what happened!" She said , " I made the coach change the vault setting, because I wanted to score well this time."

Whhhhhhaaaaaatttttt????!!??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back