MAG Kip Cast Compositional Deduction?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
Hi, I just have a quick question regarding compositional errors on high bar.

I am aware that a kip cast handstand needs to be preceded by either a half turn into back giant or grip change into front giant.

So, I was wondering: Could you kip cast handstand and change your left hand to under grip then change your right hand to undergrip; or, must you hop both hands simultaneously?

You're speaking of Level 8 and up?
I think most judges would deduct at least .1 for kip with an overgrip to cast to handstand - change one hand to undergrip - change second hand to undergrip.
Your other options would be:
Hop the hands to an undergrip on the forward swing prior to the undergrip kip (the hop is kind of like a low California hop)
Execute a kip change (grip change occurs as hips rise against the bar)
OG kip cast to handstand - change pivot arm to UG and pirouette
OG kip cast to handstand - immediate hop to undergrip (best done on the way up as soon as the cast and should extension begin) - forward giant.

OK..looking at my son's routine, I am confused.
I am aware that a kip cast handstand needs to be preceded by either a half turn into back giant or grip change into front giant.

Does this mean they have to do a half turn into back giant before the kip-cast-handstand? Or do you mean that the kip-cast-handstand must precede one of these things?

Oops, proceeded was an ill-fitting word.

I was just stating that you cannot simply kip cast handstand and drop down the way you came like women do. You must fall over the bar opposite the way you came.

I never heard of this before. Is this from the JO code or FIG? The kip cast handstand without a turn is an element in the FIG code. My DS is planning on doing a KCH after a geinger in his HB routine this year.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back