WAG L6 beam deduction question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kayjaybe

Proud Parent
Posting for a friend - what is the deduction on L6 beam if you basically do the L5 dismount (missing that extra turn) but then get back up and complete it correctly?

I'm confused. Do you mean they do a handstand and fall? Or do the handstand, turn, but don't come down on the opposite side of the beam? I can't tell you what the deduction is, but DD's coach has always told them if they don't fall on the opposite side of the beam - they do the first handstand, turn, but come down on the same side (think L3 dismount), that they should get back up and just do a L4/L5 dismount.

I think she did the handstand, turned but then didnt come down on the opposite side. I didn't see it. It is for a friend.

Or do you mean she just did the plain old cartwheel to hs level 5 dismount instead of the handstand-1/4 turn-side handstand level 6 dismount?
If she got back up and re-did the skill correctly, I would think it would be the .5 for the fall and any other form deductions, but she wouldn't get the deduction for omitting or substituting a skill. But I'm really not suer.

I don't know what the deduction is either, but the way DD's coach explained it, if you did the handstand and turn, you just need to do the L4/L5 dismount if you do it again...I think otherwise they'd say you did two of the initial handstand?

I'd imagine not completing that twist at the end of the second part of the dismount (basically doing a cross handstand, turning to a side handstand and instead of twisting to the other side like in L4/L5 just coming straight down like L3) would count as a fall...so I'd say at least .5. In L5 I believe our girls were instructed to get back up and do it again if that happened at a meet, but not sure what it would mean in L6. Surprisingly, I don't think any of our girls did that in any of our meets, however, they would do it a lot in practice (it's actually pretty likely to happen for some of them, like my DD, when they try really hard to hold the cross handstand for a long time like you are supposed to). At meets they'd all play it safe and turn really quick.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back