WAG Leg flexibility issues

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

xxStumpyxx

Proud Parent
My 8 year old daughter is having some issues with her leg that might be down to flexibility, she said that she can feel pulling and tightness at the back of her leg behind her knees, she has decent flexibility and can do left leg splits and and is close to her right leg and box splits, she can do a pike fold after stretching a lot for it, she can get her nose on her legs. When she does the splits etc there is a gap under the back of her knees. Is this something that can be fixed with time and are there any stetches that can help with this particular issue, she loves conditioning so anything you can suggest she would probably be keen to try.

Flexibility is tidal for my daughter. She has to push back constantly or she will lose her splits. It took her forever to get them because she is very tight in the legs and hips. But if she doesn't work them 2-3 times a week at home, she will lose them.

Is your gymmie one of those stout muscular types? People say that kids who are really strong sometimes pay for it in lower flexibility. If that's the case, your DD will just have to accept it and know that it will be a career-long thing that she will have to work for.

It's likely tight calf muscles and can affect leg straightening. Do calf stretches and possibly standing pike stretches and then splits just to stretch out the muscle in an position that is used actively in gymnastics.

Yes it can get better over time, but depending on the body type of your child (I'm talking muscles and tendons in terms of body type) the stretching feeling may never quite go away. I know from experience as I feel that stretch nearly every time I do pike, split, and calf stretches and have for going upwards of 8 years.

I feel this stretch because I have short tendons and tight muscles. As long as it's a "dull" pain like normal flexibility stretching and not a sharp pain it's nothing to worry about to terribly much.

My daughter is short, skinny (no fat), but for a short child she has long legs and arms, most likely look that way as she is so skinny.

When you mentioned pike stretches, that is when she feels the pull, she is one of the types that cannot drop into the splits unless she warms up first, when she does her splits and they are are not how she likes them she always says "I am not stretched yet". If my daughter attempts a pike fold without stretching she struggles, if she does standing pike stretches (she likes doing them on the stall bars at gym, she once demonstrated what she did by asking if she could use me as stall bars by holding my legs while doing a standing pike stretch lol) she can do a better pike fold, standing pike stretches are fine for her, she does those on the beam and stall bars (not sure how often). My daughter has a great pancake stretch, this came easy for her and can do these without warming up, she can even do a bridge and then put her arms down and balance on them while in bridge position and then roll over so she is lying flat on her tummy. All in all she has great flexibility except behind her knees.

Have you got any good calf stretches that she can do at home on non gym nights she practices 3 times a week so will have some time.

Thank you

Flexibility is tidal for my daughter. She has to push back constantly or she will lose her splits. It took her forever to get them because she is very tight in the legs and hips. But if she doesn't work them 2-3 times a week at home, she will lose them.

Is your gymmie one of those stout muscular types? People say that kids who are really strong sometimes pay for it in lower flexibility. If that's the case, your DD will just have to accept it and know that it will be a career-long thing that she will have to work for.

I am not sure what type she is, she can do (just about) and hanging pull up and then circle over, she has to do this as she is so short she cannot do what the others do and simply do a little jump and then pull over, she has flexible shoulders and can do a standing back bend and also a bridge stand up, her legs are so gangly, like a baby deer, arms are also the same so maybe not a short muscular type, more a short gangly type lol

Update...
My daughter is currently doing her left leg splits with her foot on a higher surface at the gym (a crash mat), she can do her pike fold near enough flat, is closer to her right leg splits and box splits. While doing a cartwheel and handstand her legs are straight (for her), but the issue is when she passes through the split shape whilst doing a back walkover or Tic Toc and bridge kick over.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back