Parents Naturally Very Flexible but Struggles with Keeping Muscles Engaged

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My 10yr old daughter is naturally extremely flexible, always has been. Coaches usually give her different positions during stretching to actually stretch her.

But... she is really struggling with keeping her muscles engaged. I'm starting to think that these two things may be connected. She also struggles with handstand holds because she struggles with keeping her body tight.

As anyone else dealt with this? Have you seen a connection between the two? Do you have any "at home conditioning" that can help her learn to keep her body tight?

Coaches usually give her different positions during stretching to actually stretch her.
Just a little thing to keep in mind: I don't know if she's ever been tested for hypermobility, but it could be she's hypermobile. It can pose some health risks if not handled correctly, depending on the type. Just thought I'd bring it up so you're aware that its a thing and it's something to maybe bring up some time at a regular visit or if she ever sees a PT or something. (for me it got diagnosed like 20 years late).

As for control, I don't know. However, I do know that among others focus, strength, body awareness and proper nutrition play a big role.

This is totally my daughter and me. We are both hypermobile as is my mom - thanks genetics.
highly flexible yet can be 'floppy' in certain elements (handstands, leaps, jumps, turns, etc).

She lost a lot of points in compulsories due to being 'floppy' as her coaches say it. My daughter says she just can't feel some muscles get tight - like her legs until they are slightly hyperextended. Her handstands always looked loose until she worked at home against a wall for several minutes every day. She couldn't just practice doing one - she needed the wall to give stability so she could learn to engage the right muscles.

getting incredibly strong has helped too. The more she increased balanced muscles, the more she was able to stabilize herself in most elements. This year she didn't lose as many points to 'floppiness'.

This is totally my daughter and me. We are both hypermobile as is my mom - thanks genetics.
highly flexible yet can be 'floppy' in certain elements (handstands, leaps, jumps, turns, etc).

She lost a lot of points in compulsories due to being 'floppy' as her coaches say it. My daughter says she just can't feel some muscles get tight - like her legs until they are slightly hyperextended. Her handstands always looked loose until she worked at home against a wall for several minutes every day. She couldn't just practice doing one - she needed the wall to give stability so she could learn to engage the right muscles.

getting incredibly strong has helped too. The more she increased balanced muscles, the more she was able to stabilize herself in most elements. This year she didn't lose as many points to 'floppiness'.
Yes!! That sounds like my daughter exactly! Handstands are such a challenge and she is training for TOP's (supposed to do a minute hold handstand). We have been working the handstands by the wall, thanks for that advice!

I'm so glad to hear that my thoughts of the flexibility and these struggles being connected could be correct.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back