Parents Legit reasons to change gyms?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I would also be concerned that the girls are not able to uptrain higher level skills while still in Level 3/4/5. Our gymnasts consistently train skill progressions 1-3 levels above what they are competing, so even at Level 3/4 they need access to the higher level equipment. What are the gym's physical restrictions beyond ceiling height - do they have pits, strap bars, trampoline vaults? Have you spoken with them about their long term plans for the girls and what they suggest for girls beyond Level 5? Will they send the optional girls to another gym, or are they planning to move to another facility in a couple of years?

I would also be concerned that the girls are not able to uptrain higher level skills while still in Level 3/4/5. Our gymnasts consistently train skill progressions 1-3 levels above what they are competing, so even at Level 3/4 they need access to the higher level equipment. What are the gym's physical restrictions beyond ceiling height - do they have pits, strap bars, trampoline vaults? Have you spoken with them about their long term plans for the girls and what they suggest for girls beyond Level 5? Will they send the optional girls to another gym, or are they planning to move to another facility in a couple of years?

We currently have no foam pit (unless you count a few blocks in a blow up pool), strap bars, and I am not sure what a trampoline vault is but my guess is we dont have that either. Their goals are to move buildings eventually and to be honest I haven't spoken with them much about what they do beyond level 5. I know a few of the upper level girls left and my guess would be that the gym could no longer accommodate their skill levels. If I knew for sure that moving to a new gym was a strong possibility I would not be considering changing. Right now, there is very little up-training unless we attend the extra classes which are of course extra money.

This is kind of where I am at, though I am still having a very hard time with the idea of changing. I have spoken to my daughter and all she was worried about was if she would get to have play dates with one particular girl. Once I put her mind at ease over that she said she was willing to try the new gym. I have contacted the place recommended to me and am just waiting on them to get back to me about a trial class. The biggest deal is that we are going to have to change eventually...
We made a gym change recently for some of the same reasons you have mentioned. To ease the transition, I promised dd we would schedule time to see her friends from the first gym. Flash forward four weeks and dd, (8yo) has not asked about when we will be meeting up with them. She is very excited about the new gym and is making new friends. Before the move, we had several talks about having "friends" at the gym, but that teams and work groups would always change. I assured her she would always have the ability to maintain friendships with those who were special to her.

I would also be concerned that the girls are not able to uptrain higher level skills while still in Level 3/4/5. Our gymnasts consistently train skill progressions 1-3 levels above what they are competing

This is a real concern about our gym; and one my hubby and I spoke about just this morning. I feel there simply is not enough up-training past what kids will need in the level they will be competing. My daughter is working on her front walk-over, "beam" cartwheel, etc at home; but I have *never* seen a child in her level or the next one up working on those things or other similar things. My daughter did get permission to practice front handsprings on the trampoline when there was an open minute; but didn't get any feedback or help regarding it. The same was true when she was working on her back walkover, jumping while in handstands, even kick-overs. Fact is that a child wants to have something to show for doing gymnastics for a year. So she "practices" things she sees others do. I'd prefer her being taught instead. I think there needs to be a balance between drills, conditioning, and up-training.

This is a real concern about our gym; and one my hubby and I spoke about just this morning. I feel there simply is not enough up-training past what kids will need in the level they will be competing. My daughter is working on her front walk-over, "beam" cartwheel, etc at home; but I have *never* seen a child in her level or the next one up working on those things or other similar things. My daughter did get permission to practice front handsprings on the trampoline when there was an open minute; but didn't get any feedback or help regarding it. The same was true when she was working on her back walkover, jumping while in handstands, even kick-overs. Fact is that a child wants to have something to show for doing gymnastics for a year. So she "practices" things she sees others do. I'd prefer her being taught instead. I think there needs to be a balance between drills, conditioning, and up-training.

For what it's worth, our girls don't uptrain skills much until they get past new Level 3. Up to that point, it's a lot of work on form, dance, and strength training. I see now that the pre-team/developmental training really paid off because the girls are learning their new skills very quickly and with beautiful form.

We changed gyms right after States last year for very similar reasons, and honestly, it was the best decision we made. Our daughter loves her new gym. She is just a new 4 this year and is actually up training for the first time. She is really bummed to have left her best friend behind but our families are close and we try really hard to get together as often as we can. My daughter is making new friendships with some of the girls her age in optionals and she loves watching them practice. It is giving her great exposure to the possibilities that are available to her and she is really excited about the new routines and new music and the chance to compete for a gym that is more competitive. She hated coming in last at her first couple of meets because her team last year was so ill prepared. It's like ripping off a band aid, do it quickly and it won't be so painful.

If you stay at a gym that caps at L4, you are capping your daughter's progress at L4. If that is what you want stay. If not go. Sounds like a no brainer for me. The social aspect is great, for now. In a couple years, those that wish to continue past L4 will start leaving, and the whole social aspect will change. Your daughter is young. She'll make a ton of new friends and so will you at the new gym. Gym families as a whole are good and fun people.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back