Coaches Legs too straight

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm got a gymnast (level 3) who does not bend her legs. Everything she does has extremely straight legs. In the past, she's had a problem with one of her knees "popping out" as she calls it, which causes her pain, however I don't think that's the reason she keeps even straight... I think it's in her head.
In her tuck jumps her knee angle probably only gets to 30* or so (even after one on one time with a coach on a tramp, hanging from a bar, etc) and it seriously affects her running on vault. I can't really describe her run except that its pretty normal at the beginning but as she gets close to the springboard she starts doing some hoppy steppy thing that kills her vault. But it is in every aspect of her gymnastics: landings, jumps, leaps, back bends, and even her round off.
Has anyone seen anything like this in their gym or any suggestions on how to get her legs to bend?
(Weirdest problem I've ever had as I'm forever begging kids to straighten their legs!)

I would make her condition her hamstrings, stretch her quads and psoas, practice landings from a straight jump.... There might be a physical reason why she doesn't bend her knees. If her quads are stiff or her hamstring not strong enough, that could prevent her from doing it.

Have you asked her what's the feeling she gets when she try to bend her knees? Can she sit on her heels or passively bend her knees?

Her balking on vault probably has a lot to do without knowing her steps.

I've seen some kids with weak ankles who could literally not run down the vault on their forefoot.

Honestly, I would probably make this kid besides the rest of the group to do LOTS of lunges. One of the very crucial basics is being able to hit a stick position landing from jumping off the beam. 45 degree bend squat ala quarter squat, feet together, arms out, etc.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back