WAG Leotards compulsory vs optionals

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

In our gym the USAG team has two different leotards. Compulsory has a different competition Leo than the optionals. The parents had thought all the USAG should have the same Leo's. Is it normal for the optional levels to be different?

It seems pretty common to have different leos for optionals.

IS it the compulsory parents that think they should have the same leo because the optional one is nicer? I have heard of that complaint.

DD team is going to same leo this year so that they can be re-used for more years and exchanged among team-mates more easily.

The same at my dds gym, optionals/ provincials,since we just moved back to Canada, have a different suit than compulsory/inter club. Which means I'm buying 2 different suits this year at two different prices instead of two the same, at the same price.

Our girls all wear the same leo. I like it because it helps them feel like a team regardless of level. We also keep our leos for 2 years so if you move from Compulsory to optionals in the in between year you aren't stuck buying a new leo.

Last club had same leos for all levels except the lowest level. Lowest level used sleeveless leos to keep cost down for girls who are new to competing. Think they didn't want to scare the new parents about leo costs first thing....wanted the girls to fall in love with competing so the parents would be willingly want to pay the extra for the long sleeve leos ;).
Current gym has different long sleeve leos for compulsory and optionals....not sure how long or what the reasoning is there, seeing as both are very expensive. I think the only benefit to compulsory may be that their leo is really the old optional ones so maybe a hand-me-down price for those lucky enough to be able to purchase from an optional willing to sell

Our gym has long sleeve leos for optionals and tank for compulsory. We are trying to get long sleeve for the higher levels of Xcel to no avail.

At our gym, pre-team has tank leos for their performances (between sessions at meets), compulsory has long sleeved leos, optionals has 3/4 length sleeve leos (see avatar).

Since our compulsories and optionals usually compete in different seasons, it's rare for both to be at the same meet.

All teams have the same "spirit leo" (tank leo with the gym name on the front) which is worn during the same practice days each week. That gives them a sense of unity during practices.

In the past, there has always been a different leo for compulsories and optionals, but I think this year it's going to be the same. Definitely easier for "handing down" used leos and also for girls who might move up mid-season or who don't know just yet where they'll end up competing.

Our gym the USAG team:
Level 2: sleeveless
Level 3-5: Long sleeve
Level 7-10: A different long sleeve
Not sure where they put level 6's

The rec team
Level 2-5 have one Leo
The optionals have another.
The lower levels have a different Leo each year (but are only $40-$60)
The optionals get to help design them (there are typically only 3-5 optionals on rec team) keep them for 2 years and are $80-$100.
The level 5's going 6 have the option of buying the optional if we're ordering that year.

Our optionals and compulsory have different leos. Compulsory moms don't mind because the optional leos are usually 2x's the amount. We also keep our leos for 2 year and pass down whenever possible.

One of the gyms we compete against have more bling on their Optionals leos... but it is the same leo design.

At our gym, all team girls L3+ and Xcel wear the same leo. We try to keep the leo as long as the company doesn't discontinue it or an aspect of it. This helps when you have multiple gymmies.

Last year, OG chose an Adult Small (technically, the right size... but was due for another growth spurt... and it came... and it was 5 inches). YG chose a Child Large (leaving a little growing room... but she grew a little more than expected). This season, YG will wear OG's old leo and we will be buying OG an Adult Large (doesn't seem possible that we have to order Adult Large before she even turns 13!!!). We will be saving the Child Large for their little stepsister who will be on team this time next year... although we may loan it out mid-season if one of the other girls outgrows her Child Medium (or make a flat out trade since little SS is still not in a CL).

Old gym (large team) had different leos for optional girls. The Xcel and compulsory girls had less expensive leos. New gym has the same for all. I am fine with either way, but I did appreciate when my dd was compulsory gymnast to not have to pay as much.

optionals have a long sleeved more blinged out leo. Compulsory have 3/4 sleeve with a little less detail and bling. I'm all for anything that saves me money :)

With me, the seniors (optionals) can design their own leo. Compulsories and other optionals can't.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back