WAG Level 3 bars question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

IreneKa

Proud Parent
After they finish the mill circle, they need to do the leg cut back, right?
DD had a meet this morning, and I didn't even notice it at the meet, but when I was watching the video after, I saw that instead of a legcut, she moved her hand over the leg, and then swang the leg over the bar (like she did in L2). This was her 3rd L3 meet, and she did the proper legcut the last two times, although she is still shaky on that skill. So, I asked her why she did that today, and she said the coach told them they could do that. I'm confused. Wouldn't it be considered a missing skill and deducted accordingly? Why would the coach tell them to do that?

It is not a missing skill, but a substituted skill. For some coaches, it is worth it to save the fall and form errors to substitute the easier skill- with a fixed deduction.

That makes sense, I guess. I didn't know you could substitute in compulsories. So, what would the deduction be for such substitution vs. doing the skill with bent arms?

That makes sense, I guess. I didn't know you could substitute in compulsories. So, what would the deduction be for such substitution vs. doing the skill with bent arms?
TECHNICALLY, you aren't SUPPOSED to substitute skills... but in some cases, it is worth it.
If the leg cut is only worth 0.2 (which I think it might be)... then substituting the easier skill is either worth the value of the skill or 2x the value (but I think that might be if you leave out a skill - I always get the 2 confused)... either way, it is worth LESS than a fall (0.5).

It's a 0.2 deduction (substituting an element). The leg cut back is only worth 0.2. No big deal, and a common mistake.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back