Level 4 beam deductions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gumbysmom

Hello. Our coaches are concerned that our level 4 team is missing something(s) on beam, but they have not been able to identify the issues from reviewing the routine sheets and have not gotten much feedback from judges after meets. The highest beam score on our small, first-year team was a 9.0. What are the most common deductions? Any pointers without actually viewing the routines? Thanks.

Not a judge, but a level 4 mom. DD coach harps on straight legs, kicking past 90 before hand stands, t-ing in and out of hand stands, holding the arabesque and scales for 2 and 3 seconds. Hope this is some things that will help

A couple of things that come to mind -

Bending legs too early after v-sit, legs should be up to beam before bending to arive in stuck-sit position.

Bending leg in take off for leap.

Not t-ing in on handstand and bending legs.

Not opening up before coming out of tuck jump.

Not holding scales - going overtime is .10, more deduction can be taken in rushing though this part.

Not hitting veritcal in handstand dismount. That can be .3 right there.

Of course watch out for bent legs thoughout routine. Bent legs and arms can really add up.

A big problem with new level 4s is rhythm. You can have a clean, wobble free pretty routine full of rhythm deductions. Sometimes the kids move to slowly, either in an effort to try and show everything off too much or because they are overly cautious. Make sure they are moving through the routine - make nice conections between the dance, strong sure movements, etc.

Also, the jumps. Make sure the tuck jump opens before landing - it is up to 2 tenths if they stay tucked. There are a few judges around here who always take the 2.

I am a judge and these are common deductions - cautious, slow, safe routines will always score lower than the dynamic ones, even with a little bobble.

Show HIGH relevae. Make sure to lever into everything, making sure not to drop the leg. Stay tight, and on the split leap, make sure it is 90 degrees.

I am a gymnast and at mt last meet my deductions were for the heel snap turn i got 0.05 of for wobbles,on the v-sit swing to tuck stand(the mount) I got 0.05 off for not being in a push up position before I pull me feet in,on the leap I got .1 off for rocking the slightest bit,on the handstand I got .05 off for wobbling,on the coup turn I got .01 off for wobbles,on the straight jump tuck jump I got .1 off for the tuck jump not having a big enough tuck,on the scale i got .2 off for not holding long enough,on the dismount I got .11 off. my score on beam ended up being a 9.15. I hope that helps and its really important the you have straight legs and pointed toes and to take your time. AND STAYING TIGHT IS REALLY IMPORTANT.

Last year our daughters went to a Critique meet with Tom Kull who assisted in creating the cumpulsary routines. Afterwards, he talked to the gymnasts and parents and one thing I remember him nitpicking about on the beam was the mount. Specifically after the v-sit when the gymnast is swinging her legs back. He said they need to be in the push-up position and many gymnasts he was watched have not attained the correct push-up position in the mount.

Hope that helps a little!

In addition to the things mentioned:
stepping through the ball of the foot
HIGH releve throughout routine (important enough to mention again)
Finishing the coupe and pivot turns on relelve
Staying straight in the 2nd part of the dismount (a lot of newer 4's pike down to the floor as they turn and drop)
Head up throughout routine
Head in on handstands
Body tightness throughout

In our area the difference between a 9.0 beam routine (level 4) and a 9.6 or higher is huge. Many small issues usually in the lower nines while the 9.6+ looks sharp, confindent, polished, nearly perfect.

If they are not getting feedback and they do not see anything glaringly missing it is probably many small issues, lots of .05 deductions for things that were pretty good but could be better.

I have found (provided no falls and they make the dismount) our new 4's usually get their largest deduction on their leap, also one of the harder things to fix for new 4's.

Advice ... lots of repetition and nitpicking :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If the coaches are really concerned, they could either bring in a judge to the gym, or inquire officially after the routine. There are LOTS of possible deductions: the biggest support you can give to the athletes & coaches is understanding that first year level four is all about taking the time to develop good basics. Its really not about the score, but if they are improving, getting stronger & more flexible, becoming better competitors, etc. Thats my 2 cents! (I am a coach and a judge.)

Your coaches best bet is to just file an inquiry asking for any major deductions on the routine they believe to be the best. The judges have to fill out the form and return. This will let the coaches know if there is something major that is being left out. Most judges don't give feedback unless asked, and the official way to ask is through an inquiry form. (The biggest downfall to an inquiry form is the first thing we do when we get one is recount our scores and if either of our math was wrong the score has just a big a chance of going down as it does up.)

Also, have they watched the routines of the other teams that are scoring higher? Is there anything that is super different? If your best routine is going 9.0 it sounds like it is all execution things (like most people have said above), but you seem to be indicating the coaches might be concerned that something is wrong with your gym's text. So, I would watch the high scoring teams to see if something is very different, other than just the way the kids are performing.

Thanks to all for your input. I really appreciate your experience and expertise. This should give the girls some things to focus on this week before states.

Just a question, are you the coach or a parent? If you are not the coach, please leave the coaching to the coaches. Its great you are interested, but if you are telling your daugher different corrections than the coaches, it could be very confusing to the gymnast.

As a parent, I definitely don't mean to or plan to interfere with the coaches. I trust them to do their jobs, and I understand that that could be confusing. I am merely looking to better understand the sport and its subtleties. I also didn't mean to offend any of the coaches out there by asking my question.

No offense taken. Each year there are many new parents who want to "help" their daughter and coach them at home. We try to educate the parents that this is not in fact helpful, rather the opposite. Im sure your coaches are working on all the things mentioned in the previous post. Just support them and all will be fine.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back