Coaches level 4 tryouts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I agree Pineapple but how should my set up be and what should i focus on in selecting with the mindset of building a strong competitive program.

Ideally, you would be recruiting from your pre-team or rec program. Evaluations can be ongoing... over 2 weeks or so in class OR you can have an actual tryout (but in that case, you should take into consideration what they have demonstrated in class too because ANYONE can have a bad day.
You might want to create a "must have" skills checklist... or a list that has:
MUST have Skills (Can do x number of times... like 3 times on 3 different days for example)
Must be Close Skills (Can do with a light spot or can do, but not enough to declare that they "have" it)
Would be Nice Skills (The IDEAL... having ALL the skills for the current level AND some for the next level or 2).

Just remember that if they have 75% of the skills for the level, they may be able to get the other 25% before competition season... depending on when the season starts. Of course, some gyms want gymnasts to have 99-100% of the skills for a level before they will move them up to train at that level.
------------------------
Also take into account: Form, Attitude, Coachability, and Drive.

oh,,,, just be careful, you don't want to anger people and have them leave the gym because of a tryout.. We pretty much bring the groups up and filter but still have people get mad and leave because they don't get selected etc... but having a tryout may not workout in your favor. :)

Yeah, I think tryouts can be dicey. Plus some kids will behave while being tested but not during the class. I'd just make different training groups from the developmental classes for the summer so everyone gets a spot, but the best ones are in a top group.

I tend to look for kids in my rec classes that are showing outstanding coachability and attitude. I agree that hosting tryouts can drive business away in the case of athletes who aren't selected.

We watch rec classes and hand out team invite letters...no tryout for our JO team.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back