WAG level 5 vs level 6

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Our gym competes a full season of level 5, and the girls move on to either level 6 or level 7 depending on their skill development in the off-season. Our head coach has strict requirements for L7 (free hip to handstand and giants on bars, full twisting layout on floor, beam series with flight) so if any of the requirements are missing, the girls move to L6.

We have several L6 girls who compete giants because they are missing the full twist or beam series. And L6 girls competing full twists because they are missing the giant.

Our head coach has strict requirements for L7 (free hip to handstand and giants on bars, full twisting layout on floor, beam series with flight) so if any of the requirements are missing, the girls move to L6.

My DD who just completed a successful year at level 8 would still be a level 6 at your gym. I'm not sure she's ever going to get a consistent free hip hand. She's got a lot of other nice bar skills, but that one continues to elude her.

I know a girl who just successfully competed level 8 without giants. She did 3/4 instead. Her beam and floor are amazing!

Our gym is another that competes L6 instead of L5 (scores out). However, the girls are required to compete equivalent or harder skills. We are just one year into the new system, but the L7's this year who competed new L6 last year were stellar, scoring 37's out of the gate, and most of them scoring 38+ by the end of the season. The jump from L6 to L7 was really small for most of them since their L6 routines were robust. That meant they spent most of their time this past season uptraining for L8. I agree with others that either L5 or L6 can be great for building strong optional gymnasts, it just depends on how L6 is used. At comps we saw a lot of gyms competing easier floor and beam skills at L6, those same gyms did not score as well at L7, as a rule.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back