DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JBS

ChalkBucket Founder
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
We are using L6 to give our kids that need extra time...a more relaxed year to learn skills. We need the routine that will score the best with these limitations...
We were going to do the following routine...
  • Kip - squat on - jump to high rail - kip - cast - clear hip - flyaway
With the above restrictions...we have judges recommending the following routine...
  • Kip - front hip circle - immediate squat on - jump to high rail - kip - cast - flyaway
Please let me know what you think. I'm not looking for any "do L5" comments. L5 is not a more relaxed environment.

Has anyone been to any L6 meets yet?

Both routines listed are one skill short, they only have 5 elements. First routine is missing an A (there is no such thing as an A value cast anymore, it's handstand(B) or nothing). The second routine is obviously missing a B. Some of our girls will be doing the first routine and accepting the 9.9 start value (I am going on the assumption that the info released saying a clear hip below horizontal is now a B), some girls will be doing kip-clear hip-kip-squat-on on low, kip flyaway on high, think this is the shortest routine possible that still starts from a 10. We haven't been to any meets yet so I am not really sure what to expect at this level.

Reactions: JBS
Get them on and get them off. That is the way to score the best. Need 5 As and a B for L6. Since a clear hip is now a B and it looks like they can only take off 0.4 for an amplitude deduction, it makes sense to do it (on the low bar though) ... so kip, clear hip, kip, cast as high as she can, squat on, jump to high bar, immediate flyaway.
We have been to 2 L6 meets. Our girls aren't strong bar workers, but we had a 3rd place finish from one of them.

We have a couple that can straddle cast handstand to flyaway (but have issues doing clear hips from handstand)...I think I'll experiment with the FHC routine with them.

so kip, clear hip, kip, cast as high as she can, squat on, jump to high bar, immediate flyaway.

Are they doing cast...cast squat on (an extra cast)...or just a big cast into a squat on? Do you mean jump to the high rail...then kip cast flyaway?

I guess if it's that extreme you have to do the front hip routine it would be better to compete Xcel Gold or something? Are there not compositional deductions in level 6? I dunno, it seems more worth it to me to do the clear hip since I think they will progress on it throughout the season. But I have no idea what the judging or competition will be like in level 6, honestly. That would just be my thought. It's still November, if they have enough support strength to do clear hip to immediate flyaway I think they'll progress and it'll be a much smoother transition to level 7. If they already competed old 5, then the proposed front hip routine seems like a step down in some ways (it does have the flyaway) but I would be concerned they would kind of get a sense of giving up at that point.

........seems more worth it to me to do the clear hip since I think they will progress on it throughout the season.....

..........It's still November, if they have enough support strength to do clear hip to immediate flyaway I think they'll progress and it'll be a much smoother transition to level 7.

Absolutely. It sound as if these kids need a year to develop, and a clear hip done as correctly as they can (forget the height for now) will come along as the season progresses. They'll see scores go up as they grow into the skills in their routine, and that's a great way to get them excited about working n new skills.

It doesn't work well the other way around by starting the season with the simple routine and plugging in a new skill midway or late in the season because their scores may drop a few tenths......... and that won't sell ice to a penguin.

We competed a group of 6s yesterday. All did kip cast clear hip kip squat on kip cast flyaway. Decent form, but not great, all clear hips at least horizontal but none to hand stand. No cast hand stands before flyaway. All scored mid to high 8s. We weren't sure what to expect with this level. Some of these kids have giants but the form isn't there yet. We tried going with the cleanest routine they could do.

Reactions: JBS
We have a couple that can straddle cast handstand to flyaway (but have issues doing clear hips from handstand)...I think I'll experiment with the FHC routine with them.

Are they doing cast...cast squat on (an extra cast)...or just a big cast into a squat on? Do you mean jump to the high rail...then kip cast flyaway?
They are not doing an extra cast on the low bar and a couple of them get a good jump straight from the low bar to swing right into the flyaway. Others do kip on high bar then cast into flyaway. We have a couple of "ugly" kippers so we minimize the deductions. They only need 5 As and 1 B at L6, so get them on and get them off.

If they already competed old 5, then the proposed front hip routine seems like a step down in some ways (it does have the flyaway) but I would be concerned they would kind of get a sense of giving up at that point.

No...these kids train spotted kip cast handstand clear hip handstand giant giant flyaway four days per week. Definitely not giving up...just giving more time.

No...these kids train spotted kip cast handstand clear hip handstand giant giant flyaway four days per week. Definitely not giving up...just giving more time.

Okay then do a front hip circle. I'm not sure if level 6 has compositional deductions, but if it does, it seems like that would get a compositional deduction. I'm just going off my state though. It depends on your philosophy and what you want to communicate to the kids. I would decide that first and then plan accordingly.

Alright, would this bar routine work?
Kip - back hip circle - squat on - uprise - under swing - flyaway.

Am I missing one skill? If so what could I put in? Is there anything you could use other than a back/front hipcircle or free hip on the low bar?
This is really just curiosity.

Am I missing one skill? If so what could I put in? Is there anything you could use other than a back/front hipcircle or free hip on the low bar?
Pretty sure you need a cast above horizontal

Both routines listed are one skill short, they only have 5 elements. First routine is missing an A (there is no such thing as an A value cast anymore, it's handstand(B) or nothing). The second routine is obviously missing a B. Some of our girls will be doing the first routine and accepting the 9.9 start value (I am going on the assumption that the info released saying a clear hip below horizontal is now a B), some girls will be doing kip-clear hip-kip-squat-on on low, kip flyaway on high, think this is the shortest routine possible that still starts from a 10. We haven't been to any meets yet so I am not really sure what to expect at this level.
There is an "A" Cast. It is 2.101 in the JO COP. A cast from 21º to 45º from vertical.

You don't have a cast listed and it is a SR.

You are missing the cast to above horizontal SR.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back