WAG Level 6 bars question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

"The cast before a squat on – jump to high bar or a shoot through CANNOT be considered for the cast SR for ANY Division."
https://www.usagym.org/PDFs/Women/xcel/faq.pdf

If Xcel explicitly disallows a cast squat on to fulfill the cast requirement, then JO certainly would not allow it...
My information WAS from last season. It appears they have closed the loophole (or part of it).
Ok, so NOW they need to do the cast squat sole circle jump to high bar for it to count... at least in Xcel, per your link :)
"Cast, squat/straddle/stoop on that leads to a sole circle around the bar or to a dismount, may be considered for the CAST Special Requirement."

Thank you for the information :D

My dd had casts way above horizontal and had a start value of 9.5 on her level 6 bar routine this past weekend. On her cast fly away she did a lay out and landed on her back, feet never touched the ground. She also paused between her kip after squat on then went into her cast fly away. What would have caused her start value to be at a 9.5?
No dismount. Her feet didn't touch.

What would be the deduction for not making her dismount? That lowered her start value to a 9.5 then.
Dismount is one of the SR... without it, her SV was lowered by 0.5 ... PLUS she was deducted for the fall (but that doesn't lower the Start Value... it is taken as a deduction.)

A dismount with a minimum A level skill is a level 6 special requirement. Since her feet didn't land first, she got no credit for the dismount and did not meet the special requirement.

A dismount with a minimum A level skill is a level 6 special requirement. Since her feet didn't land first, she got no credit for the dismount and did not meet the special requirement.

There's so much to learn in optionals. Thanks for all the feedback kandkfunk and raenndrops.

Since her feet didn't land first, she got no credit for the dismount and did not meet the special requirement.
It can be compared to the equivalent situation for skills on beam. Skill credit is not given during a fall if the gymnast immediately falls to the floor before completing the skill. For example, if a gymnast does a handstand on the beam, and falls to the side and lands on her feet on the floor without her feet first contacting the beam at all, she will not get credit for the skill because she essentially didn't complete enough of it. However, if the gymnast lands the handstand on the beam, but is off balance enough to still fall afterwards, she will get credit for the skill. A fall deduction is taken in both circumstances.

The reason she had a 9.5 start value for her bar routine is the same reason as it would be on beam; she didn't complete enough of the skill for it to count. I think a big reason this rule exists is because a judge cannot know for sure what the skill was really supposed to be, and thus cannot score it properly. For instance, with the aforementioned handstand on beam, what if it was really supposed to be a handstand forward roll? If the gymnast simply falls off before attempting the landing, there's no way to know for sure. At least if they land on the beam and then fall it can be assumed it was a normal handstand. Same thing with the bar dismount, too. What if it was supposed to be a double back and she opened early to save herself from a bad landing? I know this isn't allowed in level 6, but still valid. I think the other reason is for safety, and to discourage bad coaches from allowing gymnasts to just throw dismounts they are not ready for.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back