Level 7 Rules

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

David Osborne

My daughter was was just "promoted" to Level 7 - USAG, so we are brand new to the "optionals" scene. I am not familiar with "gymnastics lingo" but since gymnastics is becoming a big part of our family I better start learning.

Can someone point me to a website that explains all the lingo mainly what each skill is and the point value. What is an "A" vs "B" vs "C" skill and when do we need to start thinking about start values higher than 10.

Thanks for any help you can give.

David Osborne

Last edited by a moderator:
Amanda Osborne

Removed link to personal info.

Last edited by a moderator:
In level 9 and 10 there is opportunity for bonus. However in level 8, there does start to be start values on vault, so not all vaults are out of a 10. However if you have all the requirements on the other events in L8, you start from a 10. In L9, having all the requirements but no connection bonus, you start from a 9.7, and in L10 having all the requirements without connection AND difficulty bonus you start from a 9.5. Difficulty bonus means isolated skills that are D or above, and the connection bonus rules vary by event, for example on floor you get .1 bonus for B+B tumbling skills (saltos), .1 for C+A saltos, .2 for C+C saltos.

Here is the link to the optional requirement chart which summarizes the requirements and bonus system: http://www.usa-gymnastics.org/docs/Women/Rules/J.O. Code of Points/optreqchartappndx7-2009.pdf

Unfortunately in order to get access to what skills are A, B, C you need to buy the code from USAG. But basically the simple skills like a kip on bars is an A, a cast handstand is a B, giant is a B, free hip handstand is a C.

Sounds like she's really talented, but you have posted all kinds of personal information about your daughter (first and last names), name of her gym, as well as your own cell ph. no. This is the internet... everyone and anyone can read these posts. You just can't be too careful these days.

I totally agree with the above poster, I too would caution you to not put out so much personal information. This board is open to the public. ANYONE can see this information and unfortunately there are not only gym parents/coach/gymnast on here. You don't have to be a member to read all the info here. You've put out there, your full name and phone #, your dd's name, what gym she's at. It would not be hard at all to look up address from what you've given us. Please consider editing your profile to eliminate your last name and phone #, and limit how much info you post about your dd. I'm probably over-cautious, but better to be safe :)

I pm'd and warned the OP after his first posts. I have editd out the personal info, can't bear to have such a young child exposed on here.

David -

Feel free to ask away. My dd is a relatively new Lvl 7, last year having been a combo 6/7 year for us. Learning the ropes in the optional world definitely takes some time. Good luck to you and your daughter.

RK.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back