Level 7

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

E

ek2

For vault in level 7 will the gymnast (JO girls) take a deduction if she does a Tsuk instead of a front handspring? Are level 7's even allowed to do anything other than a front handspring?
DD's coaches are checking but thought I would ask.
Thanks

My dd at L7 does the handstand but is working on some type of twist thing but she is also uptraining for L8moves and they have her working on a Tsuk too. Maybe your coach is uptraining your DD too to get her ready.

The majority of the girls will do the fhs vault at L7. In the gym they may certainly be working on tsuk or yerchenko timers for L8. Some kids will do a fhs with 1/2 twist or fhs/full. Those vaults look easy, but can be pretty tough to control.

Tsuks aren't allowed. A lot of kids stick with the fhs because they've pretty much mastered it by level 7, but some may do a half on/off. A lot of level 7s spend time uptraining level 8 vaults and just do fhs in competition.

As others have said it would be a void vault, but I'm wondering why she would want to do it? The FHS is so much easier and you would lost so much more from doing a harder vault--even if you did get deductions rather than a void (does that even make sense??)

As others have said it would be a void vault, but I'm wondering why she would want to do it? The FHS is so much easier and you would lost so much more from doing a harder vault--even if you did get deductions rather than a void (does that even make sense??)

She has a very strong on vault (scored mid 9's in level 6) and since she has her tsuk does not want to wait a year to compete it. So, she was trying to see if she could do one fhs vault and one tsuk. Her coaches definitely uptrain everything as long as the girls are ready. And if she gets her level 8 skills there might be a possibility of doing a level 8 meet at the end of the season (maybe). So getting a little experience competing a harder vault would be a plus. Anyway, it was just something she asked her coaches about.
Thanks for the replys!

I think she could do a FHS and bank the score and then do a tsuk as second vault for experience. If the coach warns the judges for politeness first and it isn't too big a meet they might even give her some informal feedback on it.

yes we have some restrictions in the UK levels, a tsuk is allowed from level 4 onwards (turning age 9 that year)

I think she could do a FHS and bank the score and then do a tsuk as second vault for experience. If the coach warns the judges for politeness first and it isn't too big a meet they might even give her some informal feedback on it.

Vault is different than the other events, in that if you perform an unallowable vault it will void the event, not just the unallowable vault. This is put in place so what you mentioned doesn't happen, as the restrictions are there for safety reasons. Without my book in front of me, I'm almost positive this is the case.

Thank you Gympanda! That makes sense.

Could she compete level 7 at a meet and then scratch all events except vault for level 8 at the same meet... if it is an invitational? And would she be allowed to go back to level 7 for the state meet?
I ask all this because she may want to do another sport next year... so this might be her last season in gym. Of course a lot depends on how the level 7 season goes:D:D.

Vault is different than the other events, in that if you perform an unallowable vault it will void the event, not just the unallowable vault. This is put in place so what you mentioned doesn't happen, as the restrictions are there for safety reasons. Without my book in front of me, I'm almost positive this is the case.

That is very interesting. It does make sense from a safety point of view.

Sometimes I have seen girls warm up harder tumbles and vaults in the general warm up and then compete an easier one. I have been told it gives them a feel of the move on different equipment and in a competative environment. Not sure if that would be allowed either thought on safety grounds.

Could she compete level 7 at a meet and then scratch all events except vault for level 8 at the same meet... if it is an invitational? And would she be allowed to go back to level 7 for the state meet?
I ask all this because she may want to do another sport next year... so this might be her last season in gym. Of course a lot depends on how the level 7 season goes:D:D.

I have seen girls compete all around at 2 different levels in the same meet without a problem, as long as the meet directors and her coaches don't mind...You may need to pay two registration fees though, one for each level.

As far as competing at level 8 and dropping back for level 7 states, I have seen this done also without a problem-as long as she doesn't compete L8 states.

Good luck to her! And congrats to her for getting her tsuk!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back